Serum Theophylline Concentrations and Pulmonary Mechanical Functions Following Single and Steady-State Dosing with a Sustained-Release Theophylline Capsule
- Asthma drugs cut risk of CVD. // GP: General Practitioner;9/14/2007, p3
The article reports on a study that shows some asthma medications might help reduce cardiovascular risk and alleviate asthma symptoms. It found that patients given low-dose theophylline or the leukotrine receptor antagonist montelukast for asthma had lower cardiovascular disease blood risk...
- Preparation and Evaluation of Poly (Ïµ-caprolactone) Nanoparticles-in- Microparticles by W/O/W Emulsion Method. Jelvehgari, Mitra; Barar, Jaleh; Valizadeh, Hadi; Heidari, Nasrin // Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences;Summer2010, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p85
Objective(s) Theophylline, a xanthenes derivative, is still widely used as an effective bronchodilator in the management of asthmatic patients. It is used both as a prophylactic drug and to prevent acute exacerbations of asthma. The aim of study was to formulate and evaluate effect of the...
- Hemlock or Healer? The Mercurial Reputation of Theophylline. Epstein, Paul E. // Annals of Internal Medicine;12/15/93, Vol. 119 Issue 12, p1216
Editorial. Determines whether the use of theophylline is enough to justify the danger of toxicity. Use of drug overdose in patients to identify risk factors for major toxicity; Clinical variability in response to theophylline administration; Increase of side effects without improving...
- Moving from the Oslerian paradigm to the postgenomic era: are asthma and COPD outdated terms? Vanfleteren, Lowie E. G. W.; Kocks, Janwillem W. H.; Stone, Ian S.; Breyer-Kohansal, Robab; Greulich, Timm; Lacedonia, Donato; Buhl, Roland; Fabbri, Leonardo M.; Pavord, Ian D.; Barnes, Neil; Wouters, Emiel F. M.; Agusti, Alvar // Thorax;Jan2014, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p72
In the majority of cases, asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are two clearly distinct disease entities. However, in some patients there may be significant overlap between the two conditions. This constitutes an important area of concern because these patients are generally...
- Prevalence of treated asthma and its management in general practice in England and Wales, 1994-1998. Hoare, Jacqueline; Bruce, Maggie; Majeed, Azeem // Health Statistics Quarterly;Spring2003, Vol. 17, p15
The aim of this study was to examine trends in the prevalence of treated asthma and its management in general practice between 1994 and 1998. Data was obtained from approximately 1.4 million patients in 210 practices in England and Wales that contribute to the General Practice Research Database....
- Slowing the Deterioration of Asthma and Chronic Obstruction Pulmonary Disease Observed during Bronchodilator Therapy by Adding Inhaled Corticosteroids. Dompeling, Edward; van Schayck, Constant P.; van Grunsven, Petrus M.; van Herwaarden, Cees L. A.; Akkermans, Reinier; Molema, Johan; Folgering, Hans; van Weel, Chris // Annals of Internal Medicine;5/15/93, Vol. 118 Issue 10, p770
Presents a study which aimed to determine if deterioration in patients with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease during bronchodilator therapy could be slowed by additional treatment with an inhaled corticosteroid. Method of the study; Results and discussion; Conclusion.
- Blocking leukotrienes optimize asthma control: The BLOC survey. Idrees, Majdy M.; Al Moamary, Mohamed S. // Annals of Thoracic Medicine;Jul-Sep2007, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p99
Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate asthma control after the introduction of a leukotriene modifier (Montelukast), in addition to the current controller asthma therapies, in patients with inadequately controlled mild-to-moderate persistent asthma. Asthma control and patient...
- Intravenous Epinephrine in Life-Threatening Asthma. Sadovsky, Richard // American Family Physician;1/1/2004, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p203
Studies the effects of intravenous epinephrine in life-threatening asthma. Advantages of intravenous epinephrine; Design of the study; Discussion on the result of the study.
- Theophylline Toxicity Caused by an Over-the-counter Antiasthmatic Preparation. Keyes, William G. // Clinical Pediatrics;Dec1987, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p630
Cites a case of theophylline toxic caused by over-the-counter antiasthmatic medicine in a 15 year old female. Name of the drug taken by the patient; Manifestations of the disease; Other causes of theophylline toxicity.