Clinical Relevance of Blood Viscosity and Red Cell Deformability Including Newer Therapeutic Aspects
- Mesenteric Ischemia. Ujiki, Michael; Kibbe, Melina R. // Perspectives in Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy;Dec2005, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p309
Mesenteric ischemia is a morbid, potentially life-threatening disease that is associated with a relatively high mortality, often due to its late diagnosis. Currently, the incidence of mesenteric ischemia in the United States is low; however, the incidence is predicted to increase because of the...
- Measurement of Physical Changes in the Myocardium for Development of Novel Methods for Diagnosing Ischemia. Munir, M. S.; Shankar, K. J.; Payvar, Saeed; Eftekhari, Hossein; Brewer, Alan; Robertson, Jillian; Stupin, Igor V.; Sobash, Ed; Casscells, S. Ward; Ahmed, Amany // Current Cardiology Reviews;2007, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p274
The purpose of this review is to offer a concise discussion of existing data describing changes in the physical properties of the myocardium in response to ischemia. We argue that these measurable changes may be used as a basis for the development of newer diagnostic methods. Because of the...
- MicroRNAs Regulate Ocular Neovascularization. JiKui Shen; Xiaoru Yang; Bing Xie; Yangjian Chen; Swaim, Mara; Hackett, Sean F.; Campochiaro, Peter A. // Molecular Therapy;Jul2008, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p1208
In this study, we used ischemia-induced retinal neovascularization (NV) as a model to investigate the possible role of microRNAs in a clinically important disease process. Microarray analysis demonstrated seven microRNAs (miR-106a, -146, -181, -199a, -214, -424, and -451) that were substantially...
- Protection in the aged heart: preventing the heart-break of old age? Juhaszova, Magdalena; Rabuel, Christophe; Zorov, Dmitry B.; Lakatta, Edward G.; Sollott, Steven J. // Cardiovascular Research;May2005, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p233
Abstract: The aged heart has a diminished functional and adaptive reserve capacity, an increased susceptibility to incur damage (e.g., as a result of ischemia), and a limited practical ability for repair/regeneration. Thus, there has been considerable interest to harness the heart''s endogenous...
- Large Gastric Perforation In A Neonate. Parmar, Girish; Khoradiya, Mahesh; Ambasana, B. C. // Internet Journal of Surgery;2010, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p1
Large gastric perforation in a neonate is very rare condition. We are reporting such a condition in a two-day-old male child. This condition requires urgent surgical intervention. We did emergency laparotomy with suturing of large gastric perforation in two layers.
- TIA--Treacherously Inaccurate Acronym. Fred, Herbert L. // Texas Heart Institute Journal;2002, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p314
Deals with the difficulty of diagnosing transient ischemic attacks (TIA). Nonvascular disorders mimicking TIA.
- Ischemia and intersecting stapling: the Achilles' heel of problematic low rectal anastomoses. Tang, W.-H.; Friess, H. // Techniques in Coloproctology;Aug2013, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p463
A letter to the editor is presented related to ischemia and intersecting stapling.
- Enterocyte Response to Ischemia Is Dependent on Differentiation State Hinnebusch, Brian F.; Ma, Qing; Henderson, J. Welles; Siddique, Aleem; Archer, Sonia Y.; Hodin, Richard A. // Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery;May2002, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p403
Enterocytes at the tips of microvilli are more sensitive to an ischemic insult than those cells residing in the crypts, an effect thought to be due to a relative lack of collateral flow. We speculated that this increased cellular sensitivity to ischemia might be an intrinsic feature of the cells...
- Modeling transient retinal ischemia in mouse by ligation of pterygopalatine artery. Minhas, Gillipsie; Morishita, Ryuichi; Munehisa Shimamura; Bansal, Reema; Anand, Akshay // Annals of Neurosciences;2015, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p222
Background: Retinal ischemia is a major cause of visual impairment and blindness worldwide. The available therapeutic strategies have limited potential. Purpose: In order to understand the pathophysiology and validating therapies for retinal ischemia, establishment of reproducible animal models...