TITLE

Hypertension: The Problem Patient

AUTHOR(S)
Grenfell, Raymond F.
PUB. DATE
June 1981
SOURCE
Angiology;Jun1981, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p373
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
This article focuses on the treatment of hypertension patients. The patient who has hypertension is an entity encountered by all physicians regardless of whether or not they treat high blood pressure. In the past few years, cost containment of medical care has become a frequently discussed issue. A basic reason for this approach is that 95% of hypertension is due to causes not findable by current diagnostic methods and, therefore, has considerable merit. The objection to such a philosophy is that the likelihood of missing some of the 5% of secondary hypertension, as well as other unrelated pathologic states, is increased. In the clinical setting, the outpatient evaluation of the patient with high blood pressure begins by obtaining a thorough history including identification of medicines being taken when the blood pressure was first found to be elevated.
ACCESSION #
16392283

 

Related Articles

  • Reliability of Blood Pressure Patterns Defined by a Single 24-Hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring: The Case of the Dipping/Non Dipping and Isolated Clinic Hypertension. Cuspidi, Cesare; Sala, Carla; Zanchetti, Alberto; Mancia, Giuseppe // Current Hypertension Reviews;2007, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p89 

    Classification of hypertensive subjects according to different blood pressure patterns : i.e sustained vs isolated clinic hypertension (ICH) , dipping vs non dipping is now regarded as a useful mean for a more precise individual risk stratification and therapeutic making decisions. However, this...

  • Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring: mean blood pressure and blood pressure load. Koshy, Susan; Macarthur, Colin; Luthra, Sanjeev; Gajaria, Mukesh; Geary, Denis // Pediatric Nephrology;Oct2005, Vol. 20 Issue 10, p1484 

    Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) is commonly used to diagnose pediatric hypertension. Using ABPM, hypertension is usually defined as a mean BP greater than the 95th percentile for height. A BP load >30% (% of BP readings greater than the 95th percentile) is also used for the diagnosis...

  • Blood Pressure Control in Private Practice: A Case Report . Engelland, Ann L.; Alderman, Mechael H.; Powell, Hugh B. // American Journal of Public Health;Jan1979, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p25 

    Abstract: High blood pressure is most commonly treated in the offices of private physicians. We have attempted to evaluate the efficacy of such care through review of all patient charts of a Board Certified, University Medical Center affiliated internist in New York City. Seventeen per cent had...

  • The Benefit to Cost Ratio of Work-Site Blood Pressure Control Programs. Foote, Andrea; Erfurt, John C. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;3/13/91, Vol. 265 Issue 10, p1283 

    Discusses a study that examined the effects of work-site blood pressure control programs on health benefit claims years after the program interventions were initiated in the U.S. Cost of health care claims for hypertensive employees at the experimental sites; Comparison of unadjusted costs and...

  • HYPERTENSION. Gorog, Dianna; Kapur, Akhil; Khan, Masood; Lindsay, Alistair; Sharp, Andrew // Heart;Apr2004, Vol. 90 Issue 4, p471 

    This article suggests that checking blood pressure every six months is as good as every three months. Most guidelines suggest 3-6 months once control is achieved. A total of 302 patients were randomly assigned to follow up every three months and 307 to follow up every six months. As expected,...

  • UK behind in hypertension.  // Pulse;2/8/2007, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p11 

    The article reports the findings of a study in 2004 which points that Great Britain is behind the U.S. and other western Europe countries in controlling hypertension. According to study researcher Caleb Alexander, physician and patient fails to achieve hypertension control or escalate therapy in...

  • Ambulatory Blood-Pressure Monitoring. Pickering, Thomas G.; Shimbo, Daichi; Haas, Donald // New England Journal of Medicine;6/1/2006, Vol. 354 Issue 22, p2368 

    The article looks at ambulatory blood-pressure monitoring. According to the article, ambulatory blood-pressure monitoring predicts clinical outcomes better than conventional blood-pressure measurements. While ambulatory monitoring is more expensive than other blood-pressure measuring methods,...

  • White-coat Hypertension on Automated Blood Pressure Measurement: Implications for Clinical Practice. Boggia, José; Hansen, Tine W.; Asayama, Kei; Luzardo, Leonella; Yan Li; Staessen, Jan A. // European Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine;Dec2011, Issue 4, p17 

    White-coat hypertension is a condition in which an individual is hypertensive during repeated blood pressure measurement in the clinical setting, but blood pressure measured outside the medical environment by ambulatory blood pressure monitoring or self blood pressure measurement at home are...

  • What Was Normal Blood Pressure Is Now Considered Too High.  // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Jul2003, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p4 

    Reports on the introduction of the prehypertension category in the blood pressure guidelines of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Pressure in the U.S., as of July 2003. Prevalence of prehypertension in the U.S.; Lifestyle changes...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics