The Limitations of the Digitalized Pulse Timing Oculoplethysmography in the Diagnosis of Bilateral Significant Carotid Stenosis
- Screening for Carotid Artery Stenosis. WOLFF, TRACY // American Family Physician;1/15/2009, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p95
A quiz about the screening for carotid artery stenosis is presented.
- Prospective Randomized Trials of Carotid Artery Stenting Versus Carotid Endarterectomy: An Appraisal of the Current Literature. Lin, Peter H.; Barshes, Neal R.; Annambhotla, Suman; Huynh, Tam T. // Vascular & Endovascular Surgery;Feb/Mar2008, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p5
Carotid artery stenting has emerged as a treatment alternative in patients at high risk for carotid endarterectomy. Recent technological advances in catheter-based intervention have both facilitated the procedure and possibly improved the clinical outcome of this percutaneous intervention. The...
- Prevalence and prognostic impact of microembolic signals in arterial sources of embolism. Ritter, Martin A.; Dittrich, Ralf; Thoenissen, Niels; Ringelstein, E. Bernd; Nabavi, Darius G. // Journal of Neurology;Jul2008, Vol. 255 Issue 7, p953
To compile available studies using microembolic signal (MES) detection by transcranial Doppler sonography in varying sources of arterial brain embolism. We investigated prevalences of MES and whether MES detection is of proven use for risk stratification. Studies reporting prevalences of MES and...
- Ultrasound May Guide Carotid Stenosis Treatment Choice. // Radiology Today;Oct2011, Vol. 12 Issue 10, p38
The article focuses on the study conducted by Raffi Topakia which reveals that an ultrasound exam may help indentify people with symptomatic carotid stenosis. It says that the 435 people with asymptomatic carotid stenosis underwent ultrasound of the carotid artery and blood vessels in the brain...
- Reproducibility of Semi-Automated Measurement of Carotid Stenosis on CTA. White, Jeremy H.; Bartlett, Eric S.; Bharatha, Aditya; Aviv, Richard I.; Fox, Allan J.; Thompson, Andrew L.; Bitar, Richard; Symons, Sean P. // Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences;Jul2010, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p498
Purpose: To compare the reproducibility of semi-automated vessel analysis software to manual measurement of carotid artery stenosis on computed tomography angiography (CTA). Methods: Two observers separately analyzed 81 carotid artery CTAs using semi-automated vessel analysis software according...
- Illustration of the echocardiographic diagnosis of subaortic membrane stenosis in adults: surgical and live three-dimensional transoesophageal findings. Maréchaux, Sylvestre; Juthier, Françis; Banfi, Carlo; Vincentelli, André; Prat, Alain; Ennezat, Pierre–Vladimir // European Journal of Echocardiography;Jan2011, Vol. 12 Issue 1, pE2
We report here two cases of patients admitted in our institution for heart failure. The first had been previously diagnosed with severe aortic valve stenosis and was referred for aortic valve replacement. The myocardial and valvular anatomy combined with the Doppler profiles allowed, however, to...
- Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Carotid Stenosis: An Obsolete Classification? Chatzikonstantinou, Anastasios; Wolf, Marc E.; Schaefer, Anke; Hennerici, Michael G. // Stroke Research & Treatment;2012, p1
Since many years, clinical decisions about the management of patients with carotid stenosis have been based on the distinction between "asymptomatic" and "symptomatic" presentations. This was also reflected by the design of previous studies on the surgical versus conservative treatment and of...
- MRA vs. Ultrasonography for Carotid Stenosis. Barry, Henry // American Family Physician;9/15/2003, Vol. 68 Issue 6, p1175
Discusses the study "Duplex Ultrasound and Magnetic Resonance Angiography Compared With Digital Subtraction Angiography in Carotid Artery Stenosis: A Systematic Review," by P.J. Nederkoorn et al., published in the May 2003 issue of the journal "Stroke."
- The benefits of listening for carotid bruits. P.G.O'C. // Cortlandt Forum;01/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p115
Recommends using the carotid ultrasound in detecting progressive carotid artery stenosis. Example of a patient whose carotid artery stenosis was detected this way.