Virginia County Voters OK $249M Deal But Nix Related Food Tax
- Letting States Do the Dirty Work: State Responsibility for Federal Environmental Regulation. Erickson, Merle; Goolsbee, Austan; Maydew, Edward // National Tax Journal;Mar2003 Part 1, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p107
This paper examines tax arbitrage in the market for municipal bonds. It poses a puzzle for the literature, however, in that we find little evidence of municipal bond tax arbitrage by non- financial corporations. Even among those finns engaged in arbitrage, many finns do less than a safe-harbor...
- California Eyes BABs After Upcoming GOs. // Bond Buyer;3/16/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33080, p1
The article reports on the plan of the state of California to sell $4 billion of tax-exempt general obligation (GO) bonds and considers a taxable Build America Bonds (BAB) deal. It says that it would be the states' first GO sale since June 2008, and the largest long-term municipal bond deal...
- The Illinois Effect: Overall Volume Falls 15% in Midwest. Carvlin, Elizabeth; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/16/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32072, p30
Reports on the decline of the overall municipal bond issuance in the Midwest due to Illinois' billion dollar taxable pension deal in the U.S. Implications of the decrease in tax-exempt debt and taxable issuance for the taxable general obligation bond sale; Use of negotiated sales by five-to-one...
- THE EQUITY EFFECTS OF A TAXABLE MUNICIPAL BOND SUBSIDY. Galper, Harvey; Peterson, George E. // National Tax Journal;Dec73, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p611
A subject of current debate is a taxable municipal bond subsidy plan that would subsidize state and local governments choosing to issue taxable rather than tax-exempt debt. This plan generally is regarded as a loophole-closing device that would help to achieve a more equitable wealth...
- State Tax Treatment of Municipal Bonds: 2004. // Bond Buyer;2/9/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32067, p6
Presents a chart showing state tax treatment of municipal bonds in the United States in the year 2004. Tax status; Tax rates and brackets.
- Supreme Court Hears Arguments on Muni Bonds. // Money Management Executive;11/12/2007, Vol. 15 Issue 43, p1
The article reports that the Supreme Court in Kentucky heard arguments in a case seeking to crush a state's right to issue tax-free municipal bond for paper concerning its own state, but to tax out-of-state municipal bonds. The author notes that if the Supreme Court upholds the decision of a...
- Kansas City, Citing Projects to Revitalize Downtown Area, May Issue $95M in GOs. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/17/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31885, p38
Reports on Kansas City, Missouri's possible general obligation bond issues after a bond referendum approved by voters in April 2004. Recommendations on the size of the first deal; Use of proceeds from the planned bond issues.
- MIDWEST INVISIBLE SUPPLY. // Bond Buyer;8/11/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31945, p30
Presents a chart depicting municipal bonds in the Midwest.
- Double-A Rated Boston Prepares GO Sale of $80 Million. Scarchilli, Michael // Bond Buyer;1/11/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32296, p28
The article reports that Boston, Massachusetts will sell general obligation debt valued at $80 million. The fixed-rate bonds will finance several capital projects. The bonds will be sold through i-Deal's Parity electronic bidding system. The bonds will mature from 2007 through 2006 and insurance...