POST RADICAL MASTECTOMY EDEMA OF THE ARM: THE ROLE OF PHLEBITIS
- Overview of Current Trends and the Future of Thromboprophylaxis in Orthopaedic Surgery. Tudor, Francois; Hee, Chris; Singh, Anika; Akinola, Kemi; Cohen, Alexander T. // Vascular Disease Prevention;Apr2007, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p171
Venous thromboembolic disease (VTE) is a well known risk in orthopaedic and trauma surgery. There is no unified opinion on the best method of prophylaxis and so most orthopaedic departments use very different regimes. We provide an overview of the best prophylactic methods available at present...
- Treatment of early breast cancer varies widely within the US. // Contemporary OB/GYN;Jun2004, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p16
The article reports on the results of an analysis conducted by the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results of the U.S. National Cancer Institute regarding mastectomy of women for ductal carcinoma in situ in 2004. The number of women receiving mastectomy has declined from 1992 to 1999. There...
- Intermittent compression units for severe post-phlebitic syndrome: a randomized crossover study. Ginsberg, Jeffrey S.; Magier, Debbie; Mackinnon, Betsy; Gent, Michael; Hirsh, Jack // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;5/04/99, Vol. 160 Issue 9, p1303
Discusses how severe post-phlebitic syndrome may be associated with persistent, intractable pain and swelling that interfere with work and leisure activities. Study to determine if intermittent compression therapy with an extremity pump benefits patients with this condition and, if so, whether...
- Thrombophlebitis. // Diseases & Disorders: A Nursing Therapeutics Manual, 2nd edition;2002, p939
Presents an encyclopedia entry for thrombophlebitis. Causes; Gender and life span considerations; Primary nursing diagnosis; Treatment modalities for thrombophlebitis.
- THE POSTPHLEBITIC SYNDROME: DISCUSSION OF SURGICAL TREATMENT. Ensenat, Louis A. // Angiology;Jun1953, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p217
1. The significant literature dealing with some aspects of the postphlebitic syndrome has been reviewed ill order to collect the basic ideas behind the various individual concepts of the semeiology, pathology, clinico-pathologic correlations and surgical therapy and then to analyze them: a. The...
- Impaired retinal autoregulation in small retinal arterioles before and after focal laser treatment for diabetic maculopathy. Jeppesen, P.; Bek, T. // British Journal of Ophthalmology;Feb2006, Vol. 90 Issue 2, p198
Aims: To study the effect of an acute increase in the arterial blood pressure on the diameter response of retinal arterioles supplying areas with focal diabetic macular oedema before and after laser photocoagulation, and control arterioles supplying areas without oedema. Methods: In 17 diabetic...
- Septic pelvic thrombophlebitis. Silverman, Neil S. // Contemporary OB/GYN;Sep99, Vol. 44 Issue 9, p13
Presents information on septic pelvic thrombophlebitis (SPT). Etiology; Clinical presentation and diagnosis; Treatment.
- Heparin and infusion phlebitis. Stradling, J.R. // British Medical Journal;10/28/1978, Vol. 2 Issue 6146, p1195
Examines effect of heparin on life of a drip. Efficiency of heparin on reducing infusion related phlebitis; Assessment on level of thrombophlebitis reduction; Reason on discontinuance of drip.
- TWO CASES OF MASSIVE EDEMA OF THE LEG TREATED WITH FIBRINOLYSIN. Stewart, Charles F. // Angiology;Aug1959 Part 2, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p299
Two eases of acute, severe iliofemoral phlebitis have been presented with remarkable improvement from fibrinolysin treatment in one case and a qualified success in the second. Fibrinolysin is considered to be a most promising drug in the treatment of venous thrombotic disease.