Werthessen, N. T.
November 1962
Angiology;Nov1962, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p520
Academic Journal
The literature relating to the lipid biosynthetic mechanisms found in the arterial wall, the composition of the lipids and control mechanisms that determine rates of biosynthesis and lipid movement into and out of the blood vessel wall is reviewed. The data derived from this review are related to pathologic findings in man, subhuman primates and other animals. The conclusion is drawn that the primary factor leading to the atherosclerotic process is unknown, but is resident in the wall of the artery. It is further concluded that hypercholesterolemia and factors inducing it are of signiflcance in determining the rate and degree of atherosclerotic change but could not alone precipitate the onset of the process.


Related Articles

  • Influence of poloxamer 407 on fractional and subfractional composition of serum lipoproteins of mice. Korolenko, Tatyana A.; Tuzikov, Fedor V.; Johnston, Thomas P.; Tuzikova, Natalia A.; Filjushina, Elena E.; Loginova, Viktoriya M.; Savchenko, Natalia G. // Health (1949-4998);Jul2010, Vol. 2 Issue 7, p722 

    Using a novel small-angle X-ray scattering (SAXS) method for determination of fractional and subfractional composition of lipoproteins (LPs), a significant elevation of total cholesterol-lipoproteins (C-LP) and, especially, total triglyceridelipoproteins (TG-LP), was shown in this work. Among...

  • LIPOPROTENIN(a) KAO SPONA IZMEÐU TROMBOGENEZE I ATEROGENEZE. Vučković, Biljana; Đeric, Mirjana // Medicinski Pregled / Medical Review;2007, Vol. 60 Issue 1/2, p37 

    Introduction It is well known that numerous mechanisms of thrombogenesis can participate in every stage of atherosclerotic disease. The discovery of Lp(a) lipoprotein and its structural similarity with plasminogen suggests another pathogenic link between atherogenesis and thrombogenesis. Some...

  • Immune Response to Lipoproteins in Atherosclerosis. Samson, Sonia; Mundkur, Lakshmi; Kakkar, Vijay V. // Cholesterol;2012, p1 

    Atherosclerosis, the underlying cause of cardiovascular disease, is characterized by chronic inflammation and altered immune response. Cholesterol is a well-known risk factor associated with the development of cardiovascular diseases. Elevated serum cholesterol is unique because it can lead to...

  • Genome-wide association studies identified novel loci for non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and its postprandial lipemic response. An, Ping; Straka, Robert; Pollin, Toni; Feitosa, Mary; Wojczynski, Mary; Daw, E.; O'Connell, Jeffrey; Gibson, Quince; Ryan, Kathleen; Hopkins, Paul; Tsai, Michael; Lai, Chao-Qiang; Province, Michael; Ordovas, Jose; Shuldiner, Alan; Arnett, Donna; Borecki, Ingrid // Human Genetics;Jul2014, Vol. 133 Issue 7, p919 

    Non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol(NHDL) is an independent and superior predictor of CVD risk as compared to low-density lipoprotein alone. It represents a spectrum of atherogenic lipid fractions with possibly a distinct genomic signature. We performed genome-wide association studies...

  • metathesis.  // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1456 

    A definition of the term "metathesis," which refers to forcible transference of a disease process from one part to another, is presented.

  • Early Mention of Geographic Pathology.  // Clinical Pediatrics;Aug1968, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p469 

    Discusses the causes of diseases which strike men, mentioned in the "Toledot Yitzhak," by Rabbi Isaac Caro.

  • The great cholesterol myth: unfortunate consequences of Brown and Goldstein's mistake. Eastwood, M. // QJM: An International Journal of Medicine;Feb2012, Vol. 105 Issue 2, p214 

    No abstract available.

  • VARIATIONS IN PROTAMINE TITRATION RESULTS IN THE BLOOD OF ATHEROSCLEROTIC PATIENTS. Thomas, William A.; Olwin, John H. // Angiology;Oct1958, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p279 

    Below normal protamine titration results were observed in the blood of 73 per cent of 96 normotensive nonarteriosclerotic, nondiabetic atherosclerotic patients. The remaining 27 per cent gave results within the normal range. Of 44 patients with hypertension, arteriosclerosis and impending or...

  • Participatory role of natural killer and natural killer T cells in atherosclerosis: lessons learned from in vivo mouse studies. Whitman, Stewart C.; Ramsamy, Tanya A. // Canadian Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology;Jan2006, Vol. 84 Issue 1, p67 

    Atherosclerosis is a multifactor, highly complex disease with numerous aetiologies that work synergistically to promote lesion development. One of the emerging components that drive the development of both early- and late-stage atherosclerotic lesions is the participation of both the innate and...


Read the Article


Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics