A NEW APPROACH TO THE TREATMENT OF VERTIGO ASSOCIATED WITH MÃ‰NIÃˆRE'S DISEASE
- Is Susac syndrome (microangiopathy of the inner ear, retina, and central nervous system) an underdiagnosed cause of sensorineural hearing loss? Westreich, Richard; Chandrasekhar, Sujana // ENT: Ear, Nose & Throat Journal;Jul2008 Supplement, p4
Susac syndrome is a rare disorder caused by the development of microangiopathic lesions in the inner ear, retina, and central nervous system. Although relatively few cases have been reported in the literature, this diagnosis is becoming more frequent as physician awareness increases. A high...
- Effect of Retreatment on the End-stage Sudden Deafness. Suoqiang, Zhai; Ning, Yu; Guiliang, Zheng; Yuhua, Zhu; He, Qin // Cell Biochemistry & Biophysics;Mar2012, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p403
Microcirculatory disturbance of inner ear is probably one of the important etiological factors of sudden deafness. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of retreatment on the end-stage sudden deafness. For this purpose, the patients who met with the criteria for sudden deafness...
- A Bright Future For Diabetics. Hoscheit, Ann M. // Review of Optometry;9/15/2003, Vol. 140 Issue 9, p136
Focuses on the treatments for diabetic microvascular disease in the U.S. Inhibition of substances responsible for microvascular complications of diabetes; Potentials of intravitreal steroid injections to inhibit the production of vascular endothelial growth factor; Lipid and glycemic control.
- Reversal of the Symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy through Correction of Vitamin D Deficiency in a Type 1 Diabetic Patient. Bell, David S. H. // Case Reports in Endocrinology;2012, p1
Vitamin D deficiency has been associated with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes as well as both the microvascular and macrovascular complications of diabetes. Vitamin D deficiency has been shown to be more common in diabetic patients who have symptoms of distal symmetrical polyneuropathy. In...
- Of Ears and E-mails. Stone, John H. // Annals of Internal Medicine;8/3/2004, Vol. 141 Issue 3, p241
The article presents an account of a doctor about his patient. The patient had been suffering from a puzzling ailment for several months. In 1998, she had frightening paroxysms of vertigo and hearing loss, followed by redness and swelling of her right eye. The rapid and severe onset of her...
- Oxidative stress and diabetic neuropathy: a new understanding of an old problem. Feldman, Eva L. // Journal of Clinical Investigation;2/15/2003, Vol. 111 Issue 4, p431
Focuses on the mechanisms of diabetic retinopathy. Mechanisms that underlie the development of microvascular complications; Therapeutic use of hedgehog proteins for diabetic neuropathy; Combination therapy for the treatment of the disease.
- Evolving functions of endothelial cells in inflammation. Pober, Jordan S.; Sessa, William C. // Nature Reviews Immunology;Oct2007, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p803
Inflammation is usually analysed from the perspective of tissue-infiltrating leukocytes. Microvascular endothelial cells at a site of inflammation are both active participants in and regulators of inflammatory processes. The properties of endothelial cells change during the transition from acute...
- USE OF TOPICAL NEGATIVE PRESSURE IN THE TREATMENT OF CHRONIC OSTEOMYELITIS. Wee Leon Lam; Garrido, Anselmo; Stanley, Paul R. W. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Mar2005, Vol. 87-A Issue 3, p622
Presents a study on the use of topical negative pressure in the treatment of chronic osteomyelitis. Treatment options for the lower limb; Performance of the microvascular reconstruction; Rate of granulation tissue formation.
- Sudden hearing impairment combined with diabetes mellitus or hyperlipidemia. Orita, Saeko; Fukushima, Kunihiro; Orita, Yorihisa; Nishizaki, Kazunori // European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology;Apr2007, Vol. 264 Issue 4, p359
The objective of this study was to delineate whether the presence of the risk factors of microvascular disorder (MD) contribute to the prognostic outcome in patients with idiopathic sudden deafness (ISD). Retrospective clinical record review was conducted with 106 patients of ISD. Pure tone...