PLASMA RENIN ACTIVITY AND VASCULAR DISEASE IN ESSENTIAL HYPERTENSION
- Influence of Renin-Angiotensin System Gene Polymorphisms on the Risk of ST-Segment-Elevation Myocardial Infarction and Association with Coronary Artery Disease Risk Factors. Konopka, Anna; Szperl, Małgorzata; Piotrowski, Walerian; Roszczynko, Marta; Stępińska, Janina // Molecular Diagnosis & Therapy;May2011, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p167
Background: Recent advances in molecular biology have made it possible to identify numerous polymorphisms of the renin-angiotensin system, which play an important role in the etiology of cardiovascular disease. Objective: The aims of the study were (i) to assess the distribution of the...
- More strokes with spondylitis. // Pulse;9/6/2004, Vol. 64 Issue 35, p15
Reports on the increased risk of heart attack or stroke among men with ankylosing spondylitis. Association of cardiovascular disease with chronic systematic inflammation.
- Current Issues. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;4/4/2009, Issue 575, p2
The article reports on the recommendation by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force that patients and clinicians consider risk factors before deciding to use aspirin for prophylaxis against myocardial infarction or strokes. Age, gender and cholesterol levels are some of the risk factors that...
- Heart-Healing Statistics. // Saturday Evening Post;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 277 Issue 2, p20
Discusses several statistics on heart health in the U.S. as of April 2005. Estimated number of people with high blood cholesterol; Risk factors which can lead to a heart attack or a stroke; Advice on preventing heart disease.
- Evidence of the role of short-term exposure to ozone on ischaemic cerebral and cardiac events: the Dijon Vascular Project (DIVA). Henrotin, Jean-Bernard; Zeller, Marianne; Lorgis, Luc; Cottin, Yves; Giroud, Maurice; B⇔(c)jot, Yannick // Heart;Dec2010, Vol. 96 Issue 24, p1990
Objectives To confirm the effects of short-term exposure to ozone (O3) on ischaemic heart and cerebrovascular disease. Methods Daily levels of urban O3 pollution, the incidence of first-ever, recurrent, fatal and non-fatal ischaemic cerebrovascular events (ICVE) and myocardial infarction (MI)...
- Clinical Predictors of Late Death in Survivors of Acute Myocardial Infarction. Agarwal, Sunil Kumar; Singla, Ish; Hreybe, Haitham; Saba, Samir // Texas Heart Institute Journal;2009, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p24
Survivors of acute myocardial infarction have higher mortality rates than do the general population. This study examined the value of multiple clinical characteristics in predicting late death among patients who present with acute myocardial infarction. We reviewed the electronic medical records...
- The association of microalbuminuria with mortality in patients with acute myocardial infarction. A ten-year follow-up study. Taskiran, Mustafa; Iversen, Allan; Klausen, Klaus; Jensen, Gorm B.; Jensen, Jan Skov // Heart International;Jan2010, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p7
Our study evaluates the long-term effect of microalbuminuria on mortality among patients with acute myocardial infarction. We followed 151 patients from 1996 to 2007 to investigate if microalbuminuria is a risk factor in coronary heart disease. All patients admitted with acute myocardial...
- Obese children on path to coronary disease. Toops, Diane // Food Processing (00156523);Aug2004 Supplement, Vol. 65, p12
Reports on the discovery of the risk of coronary heart disease in obese children during their early middle age. Discovery of arteries resembling heavy smokers in the children; Risk of heart attack or stroke; Health benefits of a healthy low-fat diet and sustained exercise over one year.
- DeCODE's Report on Cardiac Gene Study Causes a FLAP. Davies, Kevin // Bio-IT World;Mar2004, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p14
Reports on the concerns raised by scientific experts regarding a study published by deCODE Genetics linking discrete gene variations to increased risk of heart attack and stroke. Effect of the gene encoding 5-lipoxygenase activating protein (FLAP) on the risk of myocardial infarction and...