Graft-enteric Erosion in Patients with Retained Defunctionalized Aortic Prostheses: A Report of Two Cases
- Psychological or psychosocial factors and health. Hornig-Rohan, Mady // Advances: The Journal of Mind-Body Health;Summer96, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p44
Presents an abstract of an article entitled `Lack of Social Participation or Religious Strength and Comfort as Risk factors for Death After Cardiac Surgery in the Elderly,' by T.E. Oxman, D.H. Freeman Jr, et. al., published in the 1995 issue of the `Psychosomatic Medicine,' about the...
- Comparison of the EuroSCORE and Cardiac Anesthesia Risk Evaluation (CARE) score for risk-adjusted mortality analysis in cardiac surgeryâ€ . Tran, Diem T.T.; Dupuis, Jean-Yves; Mesana, Thierry; Ruel, Marc; Nathan, Howard J. // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Feb2012, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p307
OBJECTIVE The European System for Cardiac Operative Risk Evaluation (EuroSCORE) and the Cardiac Anesthesia Risk Evaluation (CARE) score are risk indices designed in the mid-1990s to predict mortality after cardiac surgery. This study assesses their ability to provide risk-adjusted mortality in a...
- Quality assurance in congenital heart surgery Kang, Nicholas; Tsang, Victor T.; Gallivan, Steve; Sherlaw-Johnson, Chris; Cole, Timothy J.; Elliott, Martin J.; de Leval, Marc R. // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;May2006, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p693
Abstract: Objective: The aim of this study was to develop a graphical method of risk-stratified outcome analysis in paediatric cardiac surgery to provide a means of continuous, prospective performance monitoring and allow real-time detection of change in outcomes. Methods: Risk-adjusted survival...
- Endovascular Repair Recommended for Older Adults with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. // Journal of Gerontological Nursing;Dec2009, Vol. 35 Issue 12, p51
The author reports that research indicates that older people have improved postsurgical outcomes in the treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) with endovascular repair (EVAR) rather than open surgery (OAR). The researchers determined their findings from mortality statistics on patients...
- Risk index helped predict new-onset renal failure after heart transplant. // Cardiology Today;Jun2014, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p28
The article reports on the benefits of risk index incoporating 13 risk factors in the prediction of new-onset postoperative renal failure after orthotopic heart transplantation.
- PERSPECTIVE. Higgins, Robert // Cardiology Today;Jun2014, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p28
The author discusses the benefits of risk index incoporating 13 risk factors in the prediction of new-onset postoperative renal failure after orthotopic heart transplantation.
- The external validation of the EuroSCORE II risk stratification model. Nezic, Dusko; Borzanovic, Milorad; Spasic, Tatjana // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Mar2014, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p587
A letter to the editor in response to the article "The external validation of the European System for Cardiac Operative Risk Evaluation (EuroSCORE) II risk stratification model" by Chalmers and colleagues is presented.
- External Validation of Modified EuroSCORE. Biancari, Fausto; Laurikka, Jari; Wistbacka, Jan-Ola; Nissinen, Juha; Tarkka, Matti // World Journal of Surgery;Dec2010, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p2979
Background: EuroSCORE is an adult cardiac surgery risk scoring method that is used worldwide, which has been shown to significantly overestimate the operative risk. We derived a new risk scoring method by modifying some of the risk factors included in the EuroSCORE algorithm and we validated it...
- Size makes a difference: use of a low-prime cardiopulmonary bypass circuit and autologous priming in small adults. Cormack, J.E.; Forest, R.J. // Perfusion;Mar2000, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p129
Low hematocrit (Hct < 20) during cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) is associated with higher mortality and other adverse outcomes. More frequently, low Hct is encountered in patients with small body size and women patients. This prompted us to take an aggressive approach in our care of these...