PHARMACOLOGY OF NEUROHYPOPHYSEAL HORMONES AND THEIR SYNTHETIC ANALOGUES IN THE TERMINAL VASCULAR BED
- Vasopressin/Oxytocin. Hermosilla, Ricardo // Encyclopedic Reference of Molecular Pharmacology;2004, p957
A definition of the term vasopressin and oxytocin are presented. Vasopressin plays a central role in water homeostasis of terrestrial mammals leading to water conservation by the kidney. Osytoxin is a major factor in the process of milk ejection, parturition and in sexual and maternal behavior.
- ADH. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p49
An encyclopedia entry for "ADH," which refers to antidiuretic hormone, is presented.
- oxytocin. // Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses, 10th edition;2007, p906
This article presents information on the drug oxytocin, which is marketed as Pitocin ad Syntocinon. It is classified as hormone in therapy as as oxytocics in pharmacology. It is used for induction of labor at term and facilitation of uterine contractions at term. Information on...
- QUANTITATIVE MEASUREMENTS OF RESPONSES TO VASO-DILATORS. Brandman, Otto; Waid, Margaret; Redisch, Walter // Angiology;Aug1951, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p293
1. Oscillometry has proven of no help in the evaluation of acute responses to vaso-dilator drugs. 2. Surface temperature changes do not permit conclusive interpretation unless they are recorded automatically in a constant temperature room under controlled conditions with the use of tested criteria.
- Consultation Documents. // WHO Drug Information;2007, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p309
The article presents information on synthetic cyclic nonpeptide Oxytocin. It informs that Oxytocin has the structure of the pituitary hormone which stimulates milk ejection and contraction of the uterus in receptive mammals. It reports that Oxytocin, also called Alpha-hypophamine, is almost...
- Oxytocin mediates early experience-dependent cross-modal plasticity in the sensory cortices. Zheng, Jing-Jing; Li, Shu-Jing; Zhang, Xiao-Di; Miao, Wan-Ying; Zhang, Dinghong; Yao, Haishan; Yu, Xiang // Nature Neuroscience;Mar2014, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p391
Sensory experience is critical to development and plasticity of neural circuits. Here we report a new form of plasticity in neonatal mice, where early sensory experience cross-modally regulates development of all sensory cortices via oxytocin signaling. Unimodal sensory deprivation from birth...
- Use Oxytocin Wisely to Aid in Birthing. Vansickle, Joe // National Hog Farmer;2/15/2006, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p34
The article recommends the use of oxytocin to aid in birthing of pigs. Oxytocin has the ability to stimulate the farrowing process. It can shorten farrowing time and the interval between each pig born. But oxytocin use should be limited to older-parity sows and during the last half of the birth...
- Oxytocin facilitates accurate perception of competition in men and kinship in women. Fischer-Shofty, Meytal; Levkovitz, Yechiel; Shamay-Tsoory, Simone G. // Social Cognitive & Affective Neuroscience;Mar2013, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p313
Despite the dominant role of the hormone oxytocin (OT) in social behavior, little is known about the role of OT in the perception of social relationships. Furthermore, it is unclear whether there are sex differences in the way that OT affects social perception. Here, we employed a double-blind,...
- Fluorescent visualization of oxytocin in the hypothalamo-neurohypophysial system. Hirofumi Hashimoto; Takanori Matsuura; Yoichi Ueta; Francisco Gaytán; Tatsushi Onaka // Frontiers in Neuroscience;Jul2014, p1
Oxytocin (OXT) is well known for its ability to the milk ejection reflex and uterine contraction. It is also involved in several other behaviors, such as anti-nociception, anxiety, feeding, social recognition, and stress responses. OXT is synthesized in the magnocellular neurosecretory cells...