HYPERTENSIVE CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE CAUSED BY GIANT ARTERIO-VENOUS FISTULA OF THE KIDNEY
- Heart Failure as a Complication of Hemodialysis Arteriovenous Fistula. Ahearn, Daniel J.; Maher, John F. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Aug72, Vol. 77 Issue 2, p201
Provides information on a study which described two patients whose arteriovenous fistulas may have contributed to high cardiac outputs and severe heart failure. Implications of the surgical revision of the Brescia-Cimino fistula; Utilization of flowmeter to observe fistula flow; Discussion of...
- Diagnosis and Management of Congenital Coronary Arteriovenous Fistula in the Pediatric Patients Presenting Congestive Heart Failure and Myocardial Ischemia. Meng-Luen Lee; Ming Chen // Yonsei Medical Journal;2/28/2009, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p95
Purpose: Four pediatric patients with congenital coronary arteriovenous fistula (CAVF) were reported to remind pediatric practitioners and cardiologists of its diagnosis and management. Materials and Methods: Four pediatric patients with congenital CAVF from June 1999 to November 2007 were...
- Aortico-Right Atrial Tunnel in an Infant. Matter, Mohamed; Elgamal, Mohamed-Adel; Abdel Rahman, Ashraf; Almarsafawy, Hala // Pediatric Cardiology;Aug2011, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p849
The article presents a case study of a 2-months old baby girl with symptoms of congestive heart failure. It says that chest radiography showed mild cardiomegaly and multislice computed tomography (CT) angiography was conducted which confirmed the diagnosis of aorta-right atrial tunnel (ARAT). It...
- Should carnitine play a role in cardiac disease management? // Contemporary OB/GYN;Nov2003, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p116
The article reports on the potential of carnitine, a compound similar to amino acid, in improving cardiac function in patients with myocardial infarction and congestive heart failure. In one study, mortality had reached 3 percent among patients who had taken the compound for three months....
- Antiplatelet therapy mitigates cardiac remodeling and dysfunction in congestive heart failure due to myocardial infarction. Sanganalmath, Santosh K.; Barta, Judit; Takeda, Nobuakira; Kumamoto, Hideo; Dhalla, Naranjan S. // Canadian Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology;Apr2008, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p180
Antiplatelet agents such as sarpogrelate (SAR), a 5-hydroxytryptamine antagonist, and cilostazol (CIL), a phosphodiesterase-III inhibitor, are used in the management of peripheral vascular disease. In this study, we tested the hypothesis that both SAR and CIL prevent cardiac remodeling and...
- The MILLER banding procedure is an effective method for treating dialysis-associated steal syndrome. Miller, Gregg A.; Goel, Naveen; Friedman, Alexander; Khariton, Aleksandr; Jotwani, Manish C.; Savransky, Yevgeny; Khariton, Konstantin; Arnold, William P.; Preddie, Dean C. // Kidney International;Feb2010, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p359
We evaluated the efficacy of the Minimally Invasive Limited Ligation Endoluminal-Assisted Revision (MILLER) banding procedure in treating dialysis-associated steal syndrome or high-flow access problems. A retrospective analysis was conducted, evaluating banding of 183 patients of which 114...
- Congestive heart failure with a noncoronary cause. Manzoor, Naila // Cortlandt Forum;11/25/99, Vol. 12 Issue 11, p248
Examines the case of a 66-year-old man with congestive heart failure with a non-coronary cause. Medical history; Physical examination findings; Diagnosis; Treatment.
- Congestive Heart Failure. Braunwald, Eugene; Chidsey, Charles A.; Pool, Peter E.; Sonnenblick, Edmund H.; Ross Jr., John; Mason, Dean T.; Spann, James F.; Covell, James W. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Apr66, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p904
Discusses biochemical and physiological considerations in the diagnosis of congestive heart failure. Cardiac metabolism; Oxidative phosphorylation and mitochondria; Stores of high-energy phosphate in acute and chronic failure.
- Lifetime Risk of Developing Congestive Heart Failure. Carter, Chuck // American Family Physician;3/15/2003, Vol. 67 Issue 6, p1339
Discusses the study 'Lifetime Risk for Developing Congestive Heart Failure. The Framingham Heart Study,' by D.M. Lloyd-Jones et al., from the December 10, 2002 issue of 'Circulation.'