WALTER THURNHOFER, UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON MEDICAL CENTER: Equipment Master
- Technology keeps food costs on diet. Snow, Charlotte // Modern Healthcare;10/9/95, Vol. 25 Issue 41, p92
Features the self-directed automated machine (SAM), a cordless programmable robotic courier used at Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio. Functions and features of SAM; Robotics as one of the innovative approaches being taken by the hospital food-service departments.
- Thurnhofer Wins ASHFSA's Jacques Bloch Award. // Food Management;Aug2003, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p18
Reports on the award received by Walter Thurnhofer, food and nutrition services director at the University of Washington Medical Center from the American Society for Healthcare Food Service Administration (ASHFSA) University in Braselton, Georgia. Contributions of the recipient to health care...
- Changes in patient populations, acuity seen influencing hospital food service. Parker, Che // AHA News;7/8/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 26, p1
Reports on the contention of Walter Thurnhofer, president of the American Society for Healthcare Food Service Administrators (ASHFSA), about the challenges posed by an aging population with more acute illnesses and more nutritional needs to hospital food service in the U.S. Needs of a sicker...
- Tundra Burgers and Eskimo Ice Cream. Freedman, Donna // Food Management;Feb2004, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p16
Focuses on foodservice at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. Traditional-foods menu; Sources of the medical center's food; Changes in the traditional-foods menu; Addition of Agutaq or Eskimo Ice Cream to the list; Dietitians' signing off on all patient food requests.
- What's cooking. Fryett, Douglas K. // Materials Management in Health Care;Feb99, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p34
Examines key considerations when purchasing cooking equipment for hospital food service departments. Range of full-service equipment; Equipment for streamlined food service departments; Functions and features.
- Will innovate for Results. // Food Management;Apr2007, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p26
The article discusses the food management of Walter Thurnhofer as director of food and nutrition services at the University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) in Seattle. According to the author, Thurnhofer has developed a strong faith in results-oriented management, and his department has...
- UVA, Morrison Signal Health. // FoodService Director;5/15/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p22
The article reports on the introduction of the cafeteria program called Signals for Health by the University of Virginia Medical Center in its Wahoo West cafeteria. The cafeteria program is extension of successful year-old vending program. Signals for Health provides color coding for menu items...
- Hospital marshals new cafe experience. // FoodService Director;4/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p6
Reports on the 2005 increase in cafeteria sales at the Marshall Medical Center in Placerville, California by improving the menu, customer service and upgrading the seating area. Best selling foods at the cafeteria; Menu items introduced by the chef; Example of high-quality ingredients being...
- Providing VIP Service. Schilling, Becky // FoodService Director;11/15/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p36
This article deals with the new VIP floor opened by New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City in July 2009. According to Laura Robinson, site administrator for food and nutrition, menus at the new floor can rival those at any five-star restaurants in the city. Its...