The Fiber Factor
- The Gift of Fiber. // Saturday Evening Post;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 276 Issue 6, p24
Suggests ways on how can people increase fiber in their meals. Health benefits of eating foods rich in fiber.
- fiber feast lowers cancer risk. Marer, Eva; Martin, Adam // Health (Time Inc. Health);Sep2003, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p58
Examines fiber consumption as a way to reduce cancer risk. Link between fiber consumption and the occurrence of polyps; Reason for the effectiveness of fiber-riched foods; Amount of fiber consumed by an average woman in the U.S. per day.
- Fight fat with oatmeal. Huber, Lia // Health (Time Inc.);Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p165
The article discusses the nutritional benefits of oatmeal. The hot breakfast cereal contains fiber, and the author recommends any form of oatmeal for a filling, healthy breakfast. Recommended toppings for oatmeal include brown sugar, blueberries and almonds. The nutritional information for each...
- TIME FOR A BRAN NEW DIET. SerVaas, Cory // Saturday Evening Post;Mar1977, Vol. 249 Issue 2, p72
Presents a narrative of how the author spent his journey to South Africa to investigate the health benefits of high-fiber foods. Conditions which make South Africa a unique area for observing diet; Diseases prevalent in Westernized populations; Assessment of the health conditions of populations...
- FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM: THE TRUTH! Lenkowitz, Eric // Men's Fitness;Nov2007, Vol. 23 Issue 9, p36
The article offers information about the alternative detoxification options aside from fasting and enemas, which are dangerous and offer few real health benefits. Drinking a lot of water and eating more fiber help block the absorption of toxic chemicals. Eating plenty of fruit and whole grains...
- HIGH FIBER WITH FLAVOR. Simon, Allen // Saturday Evening Post;Sep1982, Vol. 254 Issue 6, p90
Focuses on the importance of fiber in human diet. Medical problems associated with lack of fiber; Ways to add fiber in daily diet; Examples of recipes that are rich in fiber.
- Shed pounds with pears. Jio, Sarah // Health (Time Inc.);Oct2006, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p147
This article presents information about the health and diet benefits of pears. One medium pear has about 100 calories, lots of vitamin C, and is an excellent source of fiber. Pears average about 5 grams of fiber, which is about 25% of the daily requirement. A study at Tufts University has linked...
- You Decide: A Little Gas or Premature Death? Philips, Barbara A. // Alternative Medicine Alert;Apr2011, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p46
THIS ANALYSIS WAS BASED ON QUESTIONAIRES FROM 219,123 men and 168,999 women who participated in the NIH- AARP Diet and Health Study. This observational prospective cohort was made up of AARP members who were 50-71 years old at the time of the first questionnaire mailings in 1995 and 1996. At...
- Dietary Fibers: New Insights on Health Benefits. Rubin, Rita Carey // Today's Dietitian;Feb2011, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p42
The article offers insights on the health benefits of dietary fiber relative to gastrointestinal function, weight maintenance, and satiety. According to the author, fiber help to prevent diseases such as cardiovascular disease (CVD), inflammation, and osteoporosis. Also discussed is the 2010...