Upper Extremity Radionuclide Venography in the Diagnosis and Management of Venous Disease Associated with Intravenous Catheters
- renal scanning. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary;2005, p1877
A definition of the term "renal scanning" is presented. It refers to a technique of recording renal function, size, and shape by the distribution of a radioactive substance, administered intravenously in the kidney. The emitted radiation is recorded as a photographic film.
- Long-term parenteral nutrition: problems with venous access. McIntyre, A. S.; Gertner, D. J.; Wood, S.; Phillips, R. K. S.; Lennard-Jones, J. E. // Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine;Jun1990, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p371
Long-term parenteral nutrition requires central venous access, often difficult in patients who have had several central venous catheterizations. Therapy may be complicated by thrombosis and sepsis which may further compromise central access. We report five cases illustrating such difficulties...
- Routine replacement of peripheral IV catheters. Apgar, Barbara // American Family Physician;6/1/1998, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p2848
Presents information pertaining to the medical factors involving patients with intravenous catheters. Recommendation of the routine replacement of peripheral intravenous catheters by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1981; Estimated number of patients enrolled in the conducted...
- Insertion of long term central venous catheters: Time for a new look. Adam, Andy // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/5/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7001, p341
Editorials. Discusses the need to re-evaluate the traditional methods of inserting central venous catheters for long term use. Three conventional ways of inserting the catheters; Disadvantages of the methods; Benefits of imaging guidance for catheter insertion.
- Cost-effective supply use in permanent central venous ... Howard, Thomas J.; Stines, Chris P. // American Surgeon;May1997, Vol. 63 Issue 5, p441
Presents a prospective, randomized trial designed to determine whether a streamlined operating room supply pack was cost-effective in the placement of permanent central venous catheters. Materials and methods used for patients undergoing operative placement of catheter; Results of the study;...
- Here are the standards for midline caths. Masoorli, Sue; Ferraro, Julia // RN;Sep97, Vol. 60 Issue 9, p60
Reports on the use of a midline catheter and how could it remain in place when used by patients. Recommendation on the use of the midline catheter by the Intravenous Nursing Society (INS); Identification of catheters.
- Diagnostic Accuracy of Radionuclide Venography in the Assessment of Incompetent Perforating Veins of the Legs. Rulli, Francesco; Muzi, Marco; Sanguigni, Valerio; Giordano, Alessandro; Zanella, Everardo // Vascular Surgery;Nov/Dec1996, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p489
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the accuracy of radionuclide venography (RV) (with 99mTc-marked red blood cells) in the identification of incompetent perforating veins (IPVs) of the legs in patients with chronic venous insufficiency. After informed consent, RV, followed by contrast...
- Virtual portal pressure gradient from anatomic CT angiography. Xiaolong Qi; Zhiwei Li; Jiale Huang; Yanjie Zhu; Hao Liu; Fangyu Zhou; Changchun Liu; Chaohui Xiao; Jinghui Dong; Yongzhao Zhao; Mingxin Xu; Surong Xing; Weiguo Xu; Changqing Yang // Gut;Jun2015, Vol. 64 Issue 6, p1004
The article focuses on study related to virtual portal pressure gradient from anatomic Computed Tomography (CT) angiography. Topics discussed include pathological elevation of the portal pressure gradient (PPG), measuring of central venous pressure by central venous catheterization, and...
- A Case of Profuse Bleeding from the Internal Jugular Vein after Placement of a Temporary Non-tunneled Dual Lumen Hemodialysis Catheter. Kelley, Scott R.; Roedersheimer, L. Richard; Kilaru, Sashi P. // American Surgeon;Feb2011, Vol. 77 Issue 2, p232
The article describes the case of a 38-year-old African American female who experienced profuse bleeding from the right internal jugular vein following the ultrasonographi guided placement of a temporary, nontunneled, dual lumen hemodialysis catheter. Information on the family and medical...