Humax Nets MPEG-4 Deal From DirecTV
- DirecTV Taps Tandberg. // Multichannel News;2/21/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p35
Reports on the deal entered into by DirecTV Inc with Tandberg Television for MPEG-4 encoding technology that will be used as the base for the satellite-television provider's local high-definition-television strategy in 2005. Technologies that are planned to be launched by DirecTV in 2005 and...
- Lead; follow -- Get out off the way! Birkmaier, Craig // Broadcast Engineering;Feb2005, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p14
Focuses on the trend towards high definition television in the United States. Percentage of homes that have an high definition-capable display; Projected sales of high definition displays from 2005-2008; DIRECTV Inc.'s use of MPEG-4 part 10 video compression to launch local-into-local high...
- WRAL-TV opts for hi-def news. Dickson, Glen // Broadcasting & Cable;10/16/2000, Vol. 130 Issue 43, p46
Reports the deal of WRAL-TV and Panasonic Broadcast in Raleigh, North Carolina. Conversion of the news operation of WRAL-TV into high definition television (HDTV) format; Benefits of HDTV programming; List of equipment for HDTV production acquired by WRAL-TV from Panasonic.
- DirecTv bows HDTV for Thomson set owners. Tarr // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;08/09/99, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p1
Reports that DirecTV Inc. has launched a high-definition television (HDTV) service and resumed the disconnection of unqualified subscribers from its distant network television services in the United States. Subscribers capable of using DirecTV's HDTV service; HDTV set required to access the...
- DirecTV Adds Third HD Channel: Showtime. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;5/13/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p31
Reports the launching of high definition television channel on the DBS platform by DirecTV Inc. in El Segundo, California. Date on the first transmission of the channel; Use of orbital slot for the transmission; Requirement for the channel subscription.
- MPEG encoding systems. Luff, John // Broadcast Engineering;Apr2004, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p158
Focuses on the creation of the family of standards for coding pictures, audio, and metadata by the Moving Pictures Experts Group. Assessment of the MPEG coding systems; Availability of MPEG in professional applications; Delivery of HDTV.
- DirecTV Q1 Earnings Rise 10% on HD Sub Growth. King, Danny // Television Week;5/12/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 15, p27
The article reports on the increase in the earnings of DirecTV in the U.S. in the first-quarter of 2008. The news signals that DirecTV's high definition (HD) channel inventory is helping it stave off competition from cable and fiber-optic companies. The largest satellite television operator...
- Bloody Sunday: DirecTV Runs Ticket Up the Gut. // CableFAX Daily;2/9/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 27, p1
Presents an update on cable operator DirecTV Group Inc. in the U.S., as of February 9, 2006. Plans of the company to launch high definition service to several markets across the country; Launching of the initial video-on-demand offering; Level of an increase in company revenue.
- DirecTV Floats HD Plans; Dish Inflates Basic Rates. Brady, Shirley; Kramer, Staci D. // Cable World (10427228);1/13/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p10
Reports on the high definition television (HDTV) commitment of cable television network DirecTV. Announcement of a high definition digital video recorder with TiVo service and a fourth HDTV channel; Incentives being given to subscribers; Plan to double its local-channel markets at the end of 2003.