Comcast Sues Calif. City Over Impasse
- Comcast confident against DirecTV. // MediaWeek;09/29/97, Vol. 7 Issue 36, p3
Discloses that Comcast Corp. is confident that it will not be penalized by the US Federal Communications Commission over a complaint by DirecTV Inc. that charges Comcast with unfair methods of competition. Background of the case.
- MSO Pair Face RICO Lawsuit. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;7/9/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 28, p2
Reports the lawsuit filed by the borough of Blawnox against AT&T Broadband and Comcast Corporation in Pennsylvania. Violation of racketeering laws by the cable network operators; Details on the conflict; Expectations of both networks for a dismissal of case.
- FCC Bureau Nixes WealthTV Claim. Eggerton, John // Multichannel News;7/13/2009, Vol. 30 Issue 27, p12
The article reports that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Enforcement Bureau dismissed the discrimination claims of WealthTV network against cable operators, including Comcast Corp. The bureau points out that WealthTV failed to prove that the operators are preventing them from...
- Comcast, AT&T Box in Chicago. // Multichannel News;4/28/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 17, p6
The article reports on the move of Comcast Corp. to file a countersuit against AT&T for allegedly causing damage to its axial cable network in Chicago, Illinois. It states that Comcast has claimed that the improper installation of AT&T's U-verse services has caused disruptions to its network....
- Class Concerns. Byrne, Alanna // InsideCounsel;May2013, Vol. 24 Issue 257, p12
The article compares trends in class action lawsuits in 2011 and 2013 as indicated in the June 2011 decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in the case Wal-Mart Stores Inc. v. Dukes and the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on March 27, 2013 in the case Comcast Corp. v. Behrend.
- Squeeze Put on Comcast. Haugsted, Linda; Spangler, Todd // Multichannel News;3/3/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 9, p2
The article reports on the lawsuit filed by New York's attorney general against Comcast Corp. for its way of distributing bandwidth to file-swapping Internet applications. Accordingly, the office of New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo has requested documents from Comcast related to its...
- If It Looks Like Spamï¿½. MAGILL, KEN // Direct;Jun2008, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p39
The article focuses on an April 2008 decision by Judge James B. Zagel of the U.S. District Court in Northern Illinois, which upheld an Internet service provider's right to block e-mail at its discretion. The court determined that Comcast is not liable for mistakenly blocking even...
- DirecTV Loses in False-Ad Suits. Hemingway, Jonathan // Broadcasting & Cable;8/20/2007, Vol. 137 Issue 33, p47
This article reports that DirecTV has lost two lawsuits on false advertising. A U.S. District Court ruled for Comcast which protested the use of advertising by the satellite provider that referenced certain consumer and installer surveys. The court also found that DirecTV's motion for an...
- The Supreme Court and Class Action Litigation in 2013. Crace, Joseph B.; Bergman, Angela L. // Commercial & Business Litigation;Winter2014, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p27
The article discusses the class action court cases considered by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013. The court's opinion involving the Class Action Fairness Act 2005, the merits of a dispute at the class-certification stage, the application of the predominance requirement of Federal Rule of Civil...