Ops Slam 'Abuse' by Big Four
- Optimizing cable ad sales. Cooper, Jim // MediaWeek;11/02/98, Vol. 8 Issue 41, p12
Reports that Comedy Central's advertising sales research group has started pitching a new advertising sales efficiency study to American agencies and networks in an effort to make basic cable easier to buy. Determination of the best breakdown between cable and broadcast television and figure out...
- Islands in a sea of networks. Hall, Lee // Electronic Media;03/17/97, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p1
Focuses on challenges faced by stand-alone cable television networks in the United States. Inability of most networks to succeed without the backing of multiple system operators (MSO); Classic Sports Network's legal fight with Cablevision Systems over the latter's alleged attempt to coerce...
- HBO READY TO HELP LI'L BUDDY CINEMAX. Dempsey, John // Variety;7/1/2002, Vol. 387 Issue 7, p16
Talks about the support given by cable television network Home Box Office (HBO) to its sister channel Cinemax, through advertisements in its network,in July 2002 in the U.S. Decline in the subscriber count of Cinemax; Percentage of pay-TV households in the U.S. which order HBO as their first...
- July Ratings a Sweep For Basic-Cable Nets. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;8/6/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 32, p3
Focuses on the July 2001 ratings of cable television networks in the United States. Comparison of the ratings of cable firms and television broadcasting networks; Lifetime Television's standing in primetime ratings; Dominance of Nickelodeon in total-day ratings; Assessment of the reality...
- Military Channel Wins Initial Ratings Battle. Harper, Jennifer // Insight on the News;01/11/99, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p37
Provides information on the Military Channel cable network launched by Vietnam veterans in the United States. Stars seen in the network; Potential viewers of the network; Kind of shows broadcast on the network.
- Scannell acts as corporate juggler. Grego, Melissa // Daily Variety;11/28/2000, Vol. 269 Issue 60, pA8
Reports on the promotions for the re-branding of the cable network TNN in United States. Invitation for viewers to contribute point-of-views about the network; Details of the 'Undertaker' promotion; Slogan.
- Will NUE ever be on TV? McAdams, Deborah D. // Broadcasting & Cable;01/15/2001, Vol. 131 Issue 3, p104
Reports the difficulties faced by New Urban Entertainment (NUE), a black general entertainment network, in the United States. Scarcity of funds; Expression of acquisition interest by Sony Corp., Time Warner Inc. and NBC Inc.; Reduction of company production.
- High-flying low-brow TV. Burgi, Michael // MediaWeek;9/6/93, Vol. 3 Issue 36, p9
Features the cable television network USA Network. United States Open-related revenues for 1993; Network as low-brow in primetime programming; Entry into the original movie business in 1988; `USA World Premiere Movies' segment; Airing of films from corporate parents, Paramount and MCA;...
- USA Networks spending money to grow. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;01/18/99, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p3
Reports on USA Networks' plan to accelerate spending on original programs for cable, the CityVision transformation of its television stations and Internet-related businesses in 1999. Company's decision to use its free cash flow from core businesses to expand its operations; Estimated amount the...