Voters in Charge
- N.C.'s Gov. Easley Offers 'Gimmick'-Free $15B Budget. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;3/10/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31589, p40
Focuses on the multi-billion dollar budget for fiscal year 2004 presented by North Carolina governor Mike Easley. Cuts in spending that are included in the budget; Issue of multi-million dollar bonds that Easley's budget comprises of; Revenue growth on which the budget proposal is based.
- A Bit of a Tight Spot. Frank, Mitch; Richards, Constance E. // Time;9/3/2001, Vol. 158 Issue 9, p32
Discusses the challenges faced by state governors during an economic slowdown in the United States, as of September 2001. How the slowdown has caused budget shortfalls in many states; Comment that many governors are being forced to deal with such shortfalls by either cutting spending or raising...
- Politics does make strange bedfellows. Cline, Ned // Business North Carolina;Oct2004, Vol. 24 Issue 10, p34
Focuses on the ongoing conflict between North Carolina gubernatorial candidates Patrick Ballantine and Mike Easley, as of October 2004. Differences between the campaigns of Easley and Ballantine; Views of Easley on the budget proposals of Ballantine; Background on the performance of Ballantine...
- A SPIN AROUND THE TRACK. Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;7/5/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 27, p2194
Looks at the popularity rating of North Carolina Governor Mile Easley. Survival of Easley in a crash during a NASCAR fundraising race; Reason for the favorable job rating of Easley; Discussion strategy of Easley.
- Keeping Spending Down While Debt Grows. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;3/8/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31836, Bond Buyer p57
Focuses on the biennial budget for 2005 and 2005 signed by North Carolina governor Mike Easley. Increase in revenue; Amount of the state budget; Authorization for higher education needs.
- N.C. Governor's Emergency Moves Could Affect GO Sale. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;02/12/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31075, p3
Reports on the effects of North Carolina Governor Mike Easley's budget action on general obligation bond sales. Budget deficit of the state; Cuts in state agency budgets.
- TAKING CHANCES. Maley, Frank // Business North Carolina;Feb2006, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p8
The article presents an interview with North Carolina Governor Mike Easley about economic development issues. Easley raises his views on measuring economic success. He talks about the challenges that came with taking control of the state budget. He also cites the effect of the state lottery on...
- When Does a Lot of Debt Become Too Much? DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;3/21/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32094, Special section p62
Focuses on the proposal of North Carolina Governor Mike Easley of a plan to reduce the amount of debt coming from the state. Presentation of the 2006 proposed budget by Easley; Concern of Easley that the state was bonding for too many projects; Increase in the debt service in the state;...
- N.C. Governor Declares Fiscal Emergency. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;7/1/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31419, p4
Reports the declaration of North Carolina governor Mike Easley on a fiscal emergency. Authority in cutting state budget and laying off of employees; Effectivity of the order; Deficit faced by lawmakers.