- What You Don't Know Can Hurt You. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;3/ 1/2011, p3
The article offers the author's insights on the things to consider when purchasing new fire protection and extinction equipment. The author relates the situation in one fire department that purchased foam-equipped apparatus without training for its operation. She mentions some of the pointers to...
- DEEP BREATHS. Pindelski, Jeffrey // Fire Chief;Feb2006, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p58
The article reports on the proposed revisions to the National Fire Protection Association 1981 equipment, Open Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus. The revisions aim to minimize firefighter deaths and injuries related to inadequate respiratory protection. The revisions will focus on...
- Compressed Air Foam Systems. Matarese, Leonard; Wieczorek, Thomas // Public Management (00333611);Aug2011, Vol. 93 Issue 7, p7
The article focuses on the significance of compressed air foam systems (CAFS) in fire prevention in the U.S. It notes that CAFS is essentially a method effective in fire fighting and has reported to reduce fire knockdown time by up to 78 percent while keeping firefighters at dangerous operating...
- Robust and secure supplies in uncertain times. // Fire;Jan2013, Vol. 105 Issue 1353, p24
The article discusses the increasing demands of dependable safety appliances by fire fighters. It mentions that fire safety appliances suppliers should stay in contact to their customers and they should provide safety equipments to them according to their changing needs. It also offers informs...
- SCBA/PROTECTIVE CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT. // Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2003 Supplement, Vol. 47, p5
Presents several firefighting protective clothing and equipment. Eagle HTC line of high-temperature carbon-blend hoods; Modular Liner System; Salamnader Technologies Inc.'s Fire-Trax CE; Quest Technologies' AQ5000Pro handheld indoor air quality monitor; Fol-da-tank's tarpaulins.
- LONG-LANE MARKING SYSTEM FOR WATER RELAYS. Fulmer, David B. // Fire Engineering;Feb2005, Vol. 158 Issue 2, p87
Reports on the development of a Long Lane Marking System by the Miami Township Division of Fire to relay water and the length of hose needed to accomplish the firefighting task in Florida. Repair and maintenance of the marker during the annual hydrant inspection; Creation of database of all...
- FPRF to study PASS technology. // Fire Engineering;Oct2011, Vol. 164 Issue 10, p46
The article reports on the Fire Protection Research Foundation's (FPRF) plan to conduct a three-year study of the personal alert safety system (PASS) technology and examine ways to improve the safety of distressed firefighters engaged in structural fire fighting.
- Marshalled Forces. Rielage, Robert R. // Fire Chief;Jun2003, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p54
Reports on Ohio's statewide fire-rescue response plan and its acquisition of a major incident response vehicle. Interoperability options; Compilation of list of investigative equipment; Interoperable radio communications issue; Donations to the project.
- The Engine Company: TOPSIDE SAFETY. Vanlandingham, Jerrod // Fire Engineering;Oct2006, Vol. 159 Issue 10, p32
The article offers information about the implementation of topside safety in fire apparatus in the U.S. It was stated by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) that 40 percent of the 37,000 fireground injuries categorized as strains and sprains because of working off fire apparatus. So,...