Bill would cut tax-free bonds for hospitals' fitness sites
- Lawmakers: Nonprofit Hospitals Likely to Stay Tax-Exempt, But Scrutiny Looms. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;5/27/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32142, p5
The article presents a discussion on the likelihood of nonprofit hospitals remaining tax-exempted in the U.S. The odds of nonprofit hospitals losing their tax-exempt status--and thus their tax-exempt bond-issuing authority--appear slim, but a more rigorous examination of their practices is on...
- New Bond Rules Greenlight Stalled Capital Projects. Ponte, Michelle // HealthLeaders Magazine;Jul2009, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p41
The article deals with the addition of a temporary provision in the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009 which increases the amount of bank-qualified bonds that nonprofit hospitals and other organizations can sell annually. Hospitals can now sell up to $30 million in tax-exempt,...
- Senate Panel Mulls Minimum Level of Charity Care for Tax-Exempt Hospitals. SCHROEDER, PETER // Bond Buyer;5/19/2009, Vol. 368 Issue 33117, p5
The article reports on the proposal of the Senate Financial Committee of the U.S. Congress which requires nonprofit hospitals to provide a minimum level of charitable patient care to retain their tax-exempt status. The tax-exempt status of the nonprofit hospitals that will fail to meet the...
- IRS Increases Enforcement Activity for Non-Profits; Congress Examines Exempt Hospitals. Friedman, Harry J.; Landauer, Tracy G. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2005 Q3, p1
The article reports on the U.S. Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) examination of tax-exempt compensation. The IRS launched the Tax-Exempt Compensation Enforcement Project wherein they will commence audits of selected organizations. Transactions deemed automatic excess benefits are subject to...
- Court Upholds Legality of Bond Sale to Renovate Chicago's Soldier Field. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/24/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31578, p40
Reports on Illinois Supreme Court's decision to dismiss a lawsuit that challenged legislation permitting the sale of $400 million of tax-exempt bonds. Utilization of the proceeds from the sale; Opinions about the court's decision.
- Short-Term Tax-Exempt Yields. // Bond Buyer;6/28/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31170, p39
Presents information about short-term tax-exempt yields in the U.S. as of June 28, 2001.
- Short-Term Tax-Exempt Yields. // Bond Buyer;10/24/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31250, p40
Presents information about several short-term tax-exempt yields in the U.S. as of October 24, 2001.
- Short-Term Tax-Exempt Yields. // Bond Buyer;11/2/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31257, p40
Presents statistics on short-term tax-exempt securities in the U.S. as of November 02, 2001. Securities for which the data between November 02, 2000 and November 01, 2002 is provided; Estimated rates of the 30-Day commercial paper; Variable-rate demand statistics of Lehman Brothers Money Market...
- Short-Term Tax-Exempt Yields. // Bond Buyer;11/8/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31261, p37
Presents short-term tax-exempt yields for securities in the U.S. as of November 08, 2001. Variable rate demand for municipal bonds; Money market municipal index for bonds.