- Tougher proposal for Mitchell-Lama. // Crain's New York Business;7/28/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 30, p4
New York City council speaker Gifford Miller is pushing legislation that would make it harder for owners of Mitchell-Lama buildings to opt out of the program. The speaker's proposal is the latest parry in a battle by tenant advocates to block landlords from leaving the Mitchell-Lama program or...
- Sleeper Speaker. Gurwitt, Rob // Governing;Dec2003, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p68
Deals with the victory of Gifford Miller as the speaker of the New York City council in the November 2003 elections. Background of the career of Miller in public service; Efforts of Miller to win the speakership; Achievements of Miller as speaker of the city council.
- NO-CLOUT SPEAKER: Gifford Miller. // Crain's New York Business;6/20/2005, Vol. 21 Issue 25, p10
The article reports that New York City council Speaker Gifford Miller is struggling to stop Mayor Michael Bloomberg from plopping a trash facility in his back yard. He has also seen many of his Council colleagues endorse his rivals in the Democratic mayoral campaign. An increasing number of...
- Page Appointed as N.Y.C. Budget Chief; Miller To Be Named as Council Speaker. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;1/8/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31299, p3
Reports on the appointment of Mark Page as budget director and Gifford Miller as New York City Council's speaker. Page's professional experience; Miller's professional experience; Miller's educational background.
- The lead paint bill. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;12/25/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 52, p12
This article focuses on New York City Council's forth lead paint bill that is designed to close the many loopholes contained in that legislation since it was first offered in 1966, when so many black and Spanish children were dying from lead paint chips and dust in their apartments. This bill...
- Council to attack asthma. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;11/20/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 47, p34
A task force on asthma commissioned by city council speaker Gifford Miller said it would release a comprehensive strategic plan to combat the rising trend of the ailment. Miller said that the statistic is alarming when one takes into account that the rates of asthma among children and adults in...
- Rise in revenue, expectations. Townsend, Alair // Crain's New York Business;1/12/2004, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p9
New York City tax revenues are coming in above budgeted levels in New York. When a relatively small $110 million surplus for the past fiscal year was disclosed last fall, Council Speaker Gifford Miller rushed to proclaim that this "one-shot" revenue should be used to provide property tax relief...
- No fight for council speaker. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;01/10/2002, Vol. 93 Issue 2, p6
Focuses on the selection of Gifford Miller as the next speaker of the City Council in New York, New York. Replacement of Peter Vallone; Support from the Democratic county leaders; Impact of the city of legislation at the state and federal levels.
- Councilmen Seabrook, Vann lead tribute to Roundball Legends. Evans, Howie // New York Amsterdam News;3/13/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 11, p48
City Councilmen Larry Seabrook (Bronx) and Al Vann (Brooklyn) joined forces with UDC, a grassroots 15-year-old youth-serving program based in the Bronx, New York City; and SUBOA Officials Alliance to pay tribute, honor and recognize a group of men and women they called â€œ Roundball Legends....