- Philadelphia Files Brief in School Funding Lawsuit. Coen, Andrew // Bond Buyer;2/18/2016, Vol. 1 Issue 34462, p1
The City of Philadelphia has added its backing to an ongoing lawsuit against Pennsylvania officials over the state's school funding formula.
- Washington May Put School Bond 'Supermajority' Rule Before Voters. Kelemen, Jasmina // Bond Buyer;2/7/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32065, p4
The article reports that a group of U.S. legislators has proposed a bill that would allow voters to reconsider a law that requires 60% approval for school bonds and levies. Often referred to as the supermajority law, a school bond or levy must receive approval from 60% of voters and the number...
- Congress's Tax Maneuvers: Disruptions for School-Bond Sales. Sirkin, J. R. // Education Week;4/2/1986, Vol. 5 Issue 28, p1
The article reports on the impact of a tax-reform bill passed in December 1985 by the U.S. House of Representatives on school bonds. Problems at two school districts, in Georgia and Texas, were presented to illustrate the bill's effect. The schools had to comply with several costly provisions of...
- Missouri School District Violated Rules on Bond Proceed Use. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;9/8/2014, Vol. 1 Issue 34173, p1
The article reports on violation of rules by the Grandview School District in Missouri on using bond proceeds as reported by Missouri state Auditor Thomas Schweich, in August 2014. It noted that the district misused proceeds raised from borrowing and need to improve its handling of bond financed...
- `Supermajority' rule grates on some Oklahoma districts. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;02/15/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30829, p30
Discusses the impact of an Oklahoma law mandating that school bond elections be approved by a 60% supermajority of voters before districts can borrow. Failure of the Oklahoma City Public Schools' bond issue; Other provisions of the state law; City Mayor Kirk Humphreys' call for a citywide sales...
- New Congress Sees Bond Bills, Including Mortgage Revenue Plan. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;01/09/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31053, p36
Reports on the proposed municipal bond-related bills introduced in the 107th Congress in the United States. Plans to issue more mortgage revenue debt; Lifting of restrictions for Indian tribes to sell tax-exempt debt.
- Michigan Bill Allows Pension Bonds For Localities That Shut Down Plans. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;6/20/2012, Vol. 380 Issue 33734, p6
The article presents information on the U.S. Senate Bill 1129, under which local governments in Michigan would be able to issue municipal bonds to pay off their unfunded pension liabilities.
- Municipal bond and state and local finance legislative status report. // Bond Buyer;03/19/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30602, p6
Lists several legislations affecting municipal bonds in the United States as of March 19, 1999. Includes private use bond restrictions on municipal electric utility; Airport Improvement Program; Flow control.
- Municipal bond and state and local finance legislative status report. // Bond Buyer;12/17/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30790, p6
Reports on developments in United States legislative bills concerning municipal bonds and state and local finance as of December 17, 1999. Status of the proposed legislation; Comparison with existing laws.