N.Y. Democrats unveil debt-reduction plan
- Calling all friends of Bill. Friedman, Roger D.; Landman, Beth // New York;9/4/95, Vol. 28 Issue 35, p9
Reports on the controversy as to who is going to run United States President Bill Clinton's re-election campaign in New York State. Failure of US Department of Health and Human Services chief of staff Kevin Thurm to come back to office; State Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver and former mayor...
- Albany budget showdown. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;5/1/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 18, p1
Reports on an bipartisan budget deal brokered in Albany between Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver and Senate majority leader Joseph Bruno. Oppositions faced by the budget deal; Objectives of the budget deal.
- Brooklyn pols to Silver: Preempt pre-K cuts. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;4/17/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 16, p4
New York Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver got an earful during a recent visit to the borough of Brooklyn in New York City to push for funding restoration in the governor's proposed state budget for pre-kindergarten. He was told point-blank by borough lawmakers Darryl Towns, Nick Perry, William...
- N.Y. Officials Announce Budget Reform Plan. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;1/17/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32548, p3
The article reports on the announcement made by New York Governor Eliot Spitzer on a proposed agreement with Republican Senate Majority leader Joseph Bruno and Democratic Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Under the agreement, the Legislature would be required to enact a balanced budget and would...
- Silver: '05 Revenues Were Underestimated. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;2/25/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31828, p2
Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver said that the New York Governor George E. Pataki underestimated revenues for the upcoming fiscal 2005 budget by $656 million, with revenues topping $100 billion. The findings provided Democrats with ammunition to restore some of the $2.6 billion in spending cuts...
- Pataki, Silver cover legislative, business issues at breakfasts. // Crain's New York Business;11/27/95, Vol. 11 Issue 48, p15
Informs about the appearance of New York Governor George Pataki on December 5, 1995 at the New York Hilton & Towers, and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver on January 12, at the Waldorf-Astoria for a breakfast meeting to discuss the outcome of the 1996 state budget and legislation affecting...
- Fair-goers. // New York Amsterdam News;8/13/94, Vol. 85 Issue 33, p13
Presents a photograph of Democratic county leader and state assembly member Herman T. Farrel conversing with Kola K. Boysah and George Washington America at the Washington Heights Festival and Fair along 151st Street on the Upper West Side.
- Unkindest cut award. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);10/30/95, Vol. 42 Issue 44, p1
Reports that the NYS Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver ordered road repairs to Patchogue Village be cut because voters replaced Democratic Assembly members with Republicans in three districts.
- Money is the route of power in Albany. Duby, Christopher // Westchester County Business Journal;4/10/95, Vol. 34 Issue 15, p8
Profiles New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Reputation; Career history; Contributions to fund raising events; Comparison with Senator Ronald Tocci.