Senators smile on schools
- Senate Democrats sponsor school bond plan. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;09/04/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30472, p32
Reports that Democratic leaders in the United States Senate have revived a plan to subsidize bonds for public school structure. Details of the proposed subsidy program.
- Oklahoma lawmaker pushing bills to ease school debt votes. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;02/25/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30836, p3
Focuses on the school bond elections bill by Senator Brad Henry in Oklahoma. Impact of the resolution on the threshold of school debt approvals; Benefits of the constitutional amendment to capital improvements of school districts; Context of the SJR 40 amendment.
- Big Companies Back Prop. 26, Little Guys Keep Quiet. Cruz, Sherri // Orange County Business Journal;02/14/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p4
Discusses the significance of Proposition 26, a state measure that would require only a majority vote, instead of a two-thirds vote, to pass school bonds in California. Support of big companies on the measure; Opposition of small businesses; Impact on corporate taxation.
- Education bill would raise arbitrage limit. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;06/11/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30412, p40
Reports that the compromise United States House-Senate version of an education savings account bill would raise the smaller-issuer exemption of the arbitrage rebate rules for school construction bonds. Rejection of a provision creating a separate class of school private activity bonds.
- Private colleges turn to notes in Illinois, embrace new legislation. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/23/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30774, p3
Reports that legislation expanding the Illinois Educational Facilities Authority's borrowing powers is likely to encourage several private colleges and universities in the state to issue revenue anticipation notes in 2000. Financing of the bulk purchase and prepayment of commodities like...
- Goddard GO Vote. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;6/8/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31900, p27
Reports that the Goddard School District in Sedgwick County, Kansas is seeking voter authority to issue general obligation bonds to build an elementary school and expand others. Issue on the ruling by Shawnee County District Court Judge Terry Bullock that the state's school funding formula was...
- Senate panel OKs Roth school bill. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;05/20/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30645, p1
Announces the United States Senate Finance Committee's approval of an education savings account bill that includes a provision on tax-exempt school construction bonds. Reaction of municipal bond insurers to the bill; Groups that expressed support for the bill; Proposed addition to the bill;...
- Bill Would Allow $400M a Year in School Bonds. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;3/20/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32342, p5
The article reports on the introduction of a bill that would allow U.S. school districts to issue as much as $400 million tax-credit bonds to finance the construction of new classrooms. The Expand and Rebuild America's Schools Act of 2006 was introduced by Representative Loretta Sanchez. bill...
- Financial Ed Bill In New York. // Credit Union Journal;4/28/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 17, p11
Reports that legislation that has the backing of New York State's credit unions and which would promote financial education has been introduced in the New York State Legislature.