Sweet smell of success for some
- Revamp for de Gruchy. // Cabinet Maker;06/08/2001, Issue 5241, p5
Reports the investment of department store operator Merchant Retail Group for the renovation of de Gruchy store in Jersey, Great Britain. Layout of the store; Style and design of the store; Increase of operation profits.
- Chain stores fail to respond to recovery. // Cabinet Maker;7/12/2002, Issue 5295, p4
Lists several furniture stores in Great Britain that failed to respond to market's recovery as of July 12, 2002. Allders; Courts; Merchant Retail; Marks & Spencer.
- Revamp prompts sales increase. // Cabinet Maker;11/29/2002, Issue 5315, p4
Reports the increase in the sales of Merchant Retail Group following its relaunch in Great Britain. Cost of the store's refurbishment; Replacement of chairman Reg Heath by Brian O'Callaghan; Promotion of Jeremy Seigal to the position of group marketing director.
- How They Compare. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;3/10/2004, Vol. 187 Issue 49, p14
Evaluates the financial performance of several department store companies in the United States. Sears Roebuck; J.C. Penney; Federated Department Stores; Nordstrom; Saks Inc.; Neiman Marcus Group; Revenues and earnings of the companies; Strengths and challenges.
- Share index up, but directors cut and run. Friars, Austin // Cabinet Maker;12/12/2003, Issue 5368, p6
Reports on the increase of the share index in the furniture industry and trade in Great Britain as of December 2003. Profit losses of SCS Co.; Losses of Merchant Retail Group; Sale by company directors of their own shares.
- Home Biz Struggling. // Home Textiles Today;10/10/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p40
Reports that the entire home business, chain-wide, was singled out as a weak spot by Karen Hogue, Federated Department Stores executive vice chairman and chief financial officer, in a conference call with analysts and investors. Weakness expected to continue in the fourth quarter.
- Kohl's 3Q Profits Boom. // Home Textiles Today;11/13/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 42, p2
The article reports that retailer Kohl's Department Stores Inc. posted a net income of $224.5 million in the U.S. during the third quarter of 2006. The company's profits increased 45% compared to $155.1 million in 2005. Kohl's earnings per diluted share is $0.68 versus $0.45 in 2005. Net sales...
- Federated Remains Strong. // Home Textiles Today;10/10/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p1
Reports that Federated Department Stores has reassured analysts and investors that operating profits are still on target even though its new May Department Stores business is not performing as well as expected. Expected improvement in May's performance after a 12- to 18-month transition period;...
- John Lewis profits up 24%. // Cabinet Maker;3/18/2005, Issue 5430, p3
Reports on the increase in pre-tax profits of John Lewis Partnership PLC in the year to January 29, 2005 in Great Britain. Amount of bonus that will be given to full-time staff as a result of the good performance; Percentage increase in sales of the department store; Surge in the online...