- Annan calls for girls to be educated. Hubbard, Ben // Education (14637073);4/11/2003, Issue 97, p3
Reports on the effort of United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan to call for girls around the world to be educated, as a step to reducing poverty. Benefits from educating girls according to Annan; Number of girls around the world are not attending school according to a report by the Global...
- SIXTY YEARS OF THE UNITED NATIONS. Brown, Bryan // Junior Scholastic;10/17/2005, Vol. 108 Issue 4/5, p6
The article presents information on the role of the United Nations (UN) sixty years after its formation in 1945. Today, the UN, which has 191 member states, faces huge challenges. Wars in Sudan, Iraq, and elsewhere are taking the lives of innocent civilians. Terrorist attacks are on the rise....
- Time to Call a Spade a Spade. Stander, Simon // Peace & Conflict Monitor;Sep2005, p2
The article focuses on United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan. Change in the economic interests of countries is addressed. The matters regarded by Annan as vital for achieving development and peace are listed. It also deals with the problems associated with the talk of development as the...
- UN: Trojan Horse of Tyranny. Buchanan, Patrick J. // Human Events;12/24/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 48, p12
Criticizes the issues discussed in the speech given by United Nations (UN) Secretary General Kofi Annan during his acceptance of a Nobel Prize. Mission of the UN in the eradication of poverty; Comparison of the UN with the Trojan Horse; Views on human rights violations.
- UN Wants Cut of U.S. GNP. Kilgannon, Thomas P. // Human Events;4/8/2002, Vol. 58 Issue 13, p1
Focuses on the socioeconomic impact of terrorism in the U.S. Details of the dues paid by the U.S. government to the United Nations (UN); Demands of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan from the U.S. following the terrorist attacks in the country on September 11, 2001; Relations between poverty and...
- An open letter to Kofi Annan, UN Secretary General. Goldsmith, Zac // Ecologist;Sep2002, Vol. 32 Issue 7, p4
Presents an open letter for United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan, which deals with the improvement of the environment and the reduction of global poverty.
- A Practical Plan to Achieve the MDGs. Sachs, Jeffrey D. // UN Chronicle;Jun-Aug2005, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p5
Reports on the United Nations Millennium Project, an independent advisory body commissioned by Secretary-General Kofi Annan, to develop a global plan to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) by year 2015. Proposal of experts for a comprehensive strategy to combat global poverty, hunger...
- Reforming the UN: A high wire act for Annan. Hottelet, Richard C. // Christian Science Monitor;1/31/97, Vol. 89 Issue 46, p18
Opinion. Focuses on the United Nation's secretary-general, Kofi Annan who had a warm welcome on his first trip to Washington where his predecessor, Boutros Boutros-Ghali had become a political pariah. Comparison of Annan to Boutros-Ghali; Information on the specialized agencies included in the...
- UN reformer skilled at art of the possible. Kurop, Marcia // Christian Science Monitor;4/3/97, Vol. 89 Issue 89, p1
Looks at challenges faced by Kofi Annan as secretary-general of the United Nations (UN). Goal of Annan to control costs in the UN; Comments from Annan; Drop in the UN's budget for 1998-1999; Number of member countries in UN. INSET: UN watchdog group acts as `conscience'..