News @ a glance
- Vital Signs: Preventing Clostridium difficile Infections. McDonald, L. Clifford; Lessa, Fernanda; Sievert, Dawn; Wise, Matt; Herrera, Rosa; Gould, Carolyn; Malpiedi, Paul; Dudeck, Maggie; Srinivasan, Arjun; Fridkin, Scott; Cardo, Denise // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;4/25/2012, Vol. 307 Issue 16, p1684
The article discusses a research study about the prevention of Clostridium difficile infections (CDI). Results of investigation revealed the relation of CDIs to various precedent and concurrent health care exposure. A total of 42,157 facility-wide inpatient LabID-CDI event reporting to the...
- Reducing infection rates. Patti, Bharat // Nursing Management - UK;Apr2008, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p10
The article offers update on the latest infection rate figures for Clostridium difficile in Great Britain. The drive to make hospitals safer for patients by controlling healthcare associated infections (HCAI) is relentless. Not only can HCAI cause complications to arise in patient treatment,...
- Opinion: Limits of statistics can be easily figured out. Lancelot, Chris // GP: General Practitioner;11/27/2009, p24
The article presents opinion of the author on data testing methods in hospitals. The author tells that current testing methods miss 20-80 per cent of cases of Clostridium difficile in hospitals, but hospital managers are reluctant to introduce more accurate tests as an apparent rise in cases...
- Plans And Proposals. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;10/1/2009 Health Quarterly, p24
This section offers news briefs on the health industry in Michigan. Spectrum Health is proposing to initiate heart and heart/lung services at Butterworth Hospital which will cost 400,000 dollars. Great Lakes Dental Care proposes to renovate 100 square feet of space to accommodate a 1-Cat...
- Managed care and technology diffusion: The case of MRI. Baker, Laurence C.; Wheeler, Susan K. // Health Affairs;Sep/Oct1998, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p195
Investigates the relationship between health maintenance organization (HMO) activity and market-level availability and the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in medical care. Influence of managed care on medical technologies; Suggestion that managed care influences the availability of...
- MINERVA. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);2/12/94, Vol. 308 Issue 6926, p484
Comments on several medical issues. Correlation between seafoods and the weight of neonates; Advantages of magnetic resonance imaging; Examination of outcome measures in most branches of medicine.
- A Review of the Economics of Treating Clostridium difficile Infection. Mergenhagen, Kari; Wojciechowski, Amy; Paladino, Joseph // PharmacoEconomics;Jul2014, Vol. 32 Issue 7, p639
Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) is a costly result of antibiotic use, responsible for an estimated 14,000 deaths annually in the USA according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual costs attributable to CDI are in excess of $US1 billion. This review summarizes...
- New guidelines focus on prevention of C. difficile in health care settings. // Infectious Disease News;Jun2014, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p58
The article focuses on the 2008 Compendium of Strategies to Prevent Healthcare-Associated Infections in Acute Care Hospitals, which includes guidelines aimed for health institutions on the prevention of drug-resistant Clostridium difficile.
- C. difficile strain endemic across Chicago hospitals. // Infectious Disease News;Sep2011, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p41
The article reports that the 027/NAP1/B1 strain of Clostridium difficile is endemic across acute care facilities in Chicago, Illinois.