Far West Bond-Watch
- California Planning $12B. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;10/4/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32231, p1
Reports on the planned issuance of general obligation bonds in California. Benefits of the issuance to the state's annual debt service cost; Statement of state treasurer Phil Angelides on the impact of the deficit borrowing on the ability of the state to sell bonds; Criticisms over the...
- Recovery Bond Ratings Outshine GOs. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;4/26/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31870, p1
Reports that the initial fixed-rate portion of the economic recovery bonds issued by the state of California got high ratings from Fitch Ratings, Moody's Investors and Standard & Poor's. Variable-rate sale of the remainder in May or June 2004; Sale plans by state treasurer Phil Angelides;...
- Governor Rolls the Dice With Various Budget Deals. Fine, Howard // San Diego Business Journal;5/24/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 21, p21
Reports on California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget deals. Pending compact with state Indian tribes; Uses from projected surplus revenues; Comments of state Treausrer Phil Angelides on Schwarzenegger's budget strategy.
- Angelides: Deficit Bonds A Bad Idea. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;11/7/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31757, p1
Reports on the warning of California treasurer Phil Angelides to governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger against a large-scale deficit bond issue. Opposition for a deficit borrowing plan; Challenges faced in the state's budget; Comment of Schwarzenegger on the issue.
- Angelides: Here's My Plan. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;8/18/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32448, p31
The article focuses on a proposal released by state treasurer Phil Angelides, the Democratic nominee for California governor, to balance the state's budget. Angelides claims that his plan for fiscal 2008 would bring in $5.1 billion in additional revenues and $1.15 billion in spending cuts. The...
- Schwarzenegger Wants to Shut Off Power Financing Agency. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;4/14/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31862, p40
Focuses on the plan of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to close the California Consumer Power and Conservation Financing Authority. Function of the public agency; Value of debt issued by the authority motivating the governor's decision; Opposition of Treasurer Phil Angelides.
- Teachers Pick a Horse. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;2/3/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32312, p31
The article reports on the California Teachers Association's endorsement of state treasurer and gubernatorial candidate, Phil Angelides. The association also endorsed a June 2006 ballot measure to increase income taxes to support a universal preschool program. The teachers' union cites...
- Angelides Blames Schwarzenegger for Tribes Deal Delay. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/27/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32037, p28
The article focuses on California Treasurer Phil Angelides who blamed the administration of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for delays in a planned bond sale to securitize tribal gambling revenue. He suggested that the administration issue deficit bonds instead to finance planned projects. The...
- California Debt Outlook Critiqued. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/21/2005, Vol. 354 Issue 32283, p1
The article reports that California Treasurer Phil Angelides has cautioned the state politicians to weigh the pros and cons before finalizing any sizable infrastructure finance plan for the states. Angelides is the Democratic nominee for the post of the state's governor in 2006. In all...