The Opening of the National Museum of the American Indian
- A New Beginning. Starkweather, Helen // Smithsonian;Nov2004, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p34
Reports that 25,000 Native Americans representing 500 tribes came to Washington, D.C. for the September 21 opening of the National Museum of the American Indian. How the limestone structure was developed in consultation with native leaders.
- FIRST PEOPLES GET FIRST MUSEUM. Copp, Darlene P. // TravelAmerica;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p58
Features the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) in Washington, D.C. Reason the NMAI is unique among its counterparts; Information on the design of the museum; Exhibits displayed at the museum.
- The American Indian Museum. // All About Washington, D.C. in Spanish & English;2004, p54
This article provides information on the American Indian Museum located in Washington, D.C. The American Indian Museum, a new branch of the Smithsonian Institution, celebrated its Grand Opening on September 21, 2004. Located in front of the U.S. Capitol on the National Mall, the new American...
- AMERICAN MUSEUMS in the 21st CENTURY. West, W. Richard // Humanities Research;2002, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p6
Discusses the concept of authority within U.S. museums in the 21st century. Association of authority with the interpretation and representation of the objects, ideas, and peoples that are encompassed by the work of a museum; Components of a museum that need to be developed; Information on the...
- Museum of American Indian. // Washingtonian Magazine;Sep2004, Vol. 39 Issue 12, p23
Features the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D.C. Background on the museum; Recommendation of curators in visiting the museum; Hours of accommodation.
- ETHNIC MUSEUMS. // World Almanac for Kids;2001, p126
Provides a list of United States museums which focus on the culture and history of different ethnic groups. California African American Museum; The Jewish Museum; Others.
- The American Indian Community House Gallery. CHIEF, T. R. TALL // Native Peoples Magazine;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p54
The article reports on the developments of the American Indian Community House (AICH) gallery in New York. The gallery secured an ongoing venue for Indian artists to promote their culture and art. According to the article, there were about 100 exhibitions under the leadership of Rosemary...
- National Museum of the American Indian. Power, Susan // Harper's Bazaar;Feb95, Issue 3399, p112
Praises the treatment of Native American experience in the National Museum of the American Indian in New York City. Major role of American Indians in the development of the museum; Use of the circle concept which is significant to the Native Americans; Representation of all American Indians;...
- The Heye Center opens in Manhattan with three exhibitions of Native arts. Bruchac, Joseph // Smithsonian;Oct94, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p40
Celebrates the opening of the George Gustav Heye Center of the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) on October 30, 1994 in New York City. `Creation's Journey: Masterworks of Native American Identity and Belief'; Full involvement of Native peoples in the three sites...