BUSH OUGHT TO HEED THOMAS'S COACHING
- Paper Tiger. Crowley, Michael // New Republic;2/7/2005, Vol. 232 Issue 4, p14
Focuses on the Social Security reform bill of United States President George W. Bush. Report that House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Thomas criticized the Social Security reforms; Praise for former House Ways and Means Committee chairmen Wilbur Mills and Dan Rostenkowski; Report that...
- CAN THOMAS FILL THE BILL? Cohen, Richard E. // National Journal;6/25/2005, Vol. 37 Issue 26, p2054
Focuses on the role of U.S. House Ways and Means Committee chairman Bill Thomas (R.-Calif.) in pursuing the Republican agenda on social security reform. Contributions of Thomas to the approval of certain major legislation; Announcement of a proposal under which new investment accounts for...
- Congress Disposes. Schorr, Daniel // New Leader;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 88 Issue 1, p4
Reports on the views of Bill Thomas, chairman of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee, on the proposed Social Security privatization of President George W. Bush. Efforts of the administration to avoid a dispute with Thomas; Suggestion of Thomas for the Social Security debate.
- US attempts to keep Medicare solvent. Charatan, Fred B. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);06/21/97, Vol. 314 Issue 7097, p1782
Reports that the United States House Ways and Means Committee has approved a bill aimed at cutting Medicare spending by 8.5 percent by the year 2000. Planned cuts as the largest reduction in the program;s history; Opening of Medicare to more health maintenance organizations and other forms of...
- Lawmakers gear up for Medicare trust testimony. Gardner, Jonathan // Modern Healthcare;2/26/96, Vol. 26 Issue 9, p3
No abstract available.
- Reality bites at Medicare's budget. Gatty, Bob // Ophthalmology Times;6/12/95, Vol. 20 Issue 23, p3
Comments on the Medicare budget of the United States. Aim to balance the federal budget; Attitude of the Grand Old Party staffers on the House Ways and Means Committee; Plan to convert Medicare from an entitlement to a voucher system; Precaution on too much savings reliance on managed care;...
- Profits, politics, and the people they imperil. Gatty, Bob // Ophthalmology Times;8/7/95, Vol. 20 Issue 30, p1
Discusses the potential effect on Medicare recipients and health care providers of a proposal by the House Ways and Means Committee Republicans to reduce Medicare expenditures over the next seven years starting 1995. Concerns of ophthalmologists and cataract surgeons; Health care delivery...
- Changes abound in Medicare reform package. Fisher, Mary Jane // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;6/9/97, Vol. 101 Issue 23, p3
Reports on changes made to the Medicare reform package by the House Ways and Means Health Subcommittee. How much money would these changes save; How much would the life of the Medicare program increase; Why would hospitals be hit the hardest; What choices would this package provide for...
- Ways and Means Committee leader vows to replace Medicare's sustainable growth rate. Vlebeck, Elise // Hill;1/17/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p10
The article reports on the leader of the House Ways and Means Committee that promised to permanently replace the sustainable growth rate (SGR) of Medicare to eliminate the need for the yearly doc fix.