Adders future in the balance
- Federated sells bridal group for $850M. // SCTXtra;11/20/2006, Vol. 11 Issue 45, p1
The article reports that Federated Department Stores Inc. is selling David's Bridal and Priscilla of Boston, Massachusetts to Los Angeles, California-based private equity firm Leonard Green & Partners LP for about $750m. In another deal, Federated will sell the 511-unit After Hours Formal wear...
- KING,CASH. Deans, Alan // Bulletin with Newsweek;3/28/2006, Vol. 124 Issue 6513, p55
This article reports that one of Wall Street's most aggressive players forked out $1.4bn to buy the Myer Stores Ltd.'s department store chain. Unwanted by Coles Myer, the upmarket retailer had been tipped to fetch a discounted $1bn or less. The real lesson behind Myer is not simply the dollars....
- MUSICLAND SHUTTERS MEDIA PLAY STORES. Wagner, Holly J. // Home Media Retailing;12/18/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 51, p4
The article reports on the decision of Musicland retail chain to close all of its Media Play stores across the U.S. in December 2005. Information about the Media Play store is described in detail.
- Analysts predicting Albertsons to go private. Desjardins, Doug // Drug Store News;9/26/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p4
Reports that analysts believe a private investment firm, or a group of them, will buy the Albertsons store chain. Speculations after Albertsons put itself up for sale; Expected similarity with what happened to Toys "R" Us; Pressure from Wal-Mart and other retailers with a strong food presence...
- CONVENIENCE STORE INDUSTRY NEWS. // National Petroleum News;Aug2005, Vol. 97 Issue 9, p38
This article reports that in Matrix Capital Markets Group Inc. has announced the sale of 45 Sentry Food Mart Stores located in the Tidewater and Western regions of Virginia.
- Target's big sale. Skeffington, Robert // BRW;8/5/2004, Vol. 26 Issue 30, p113
Reports on the completion of the sale of Mervyn's Department Stores business by U.S. retailer Target Stores Inc. in August 2004.
- Albertsons' stand-alone drug stores could be good fit for CVS. Desjardins, Doug // Drug Store News;10/10/2005, Vol. 27 Issue 13, p6
Reports that drugstore chain, CVS has positioned itself as a potential buyer for a piece of rival firm, Albertsons Corp. Plans of CVS to acquire Albertsons' 695 Sav-on and Osco drug stores if they will be made available as a separate piece of the supermarket chain; Other contenders for...
- Mervyn's Sale Inches Closer. Lockwood, Lisa; Moin, David // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;7/23/2004, Vol. 188 Issue 16, p2
Reports on the deal to sell Mervyn's Department Stores in New York. Finalist in the auction to acquire Mervyn's; Background on the companies which are interested to acquire Mervyn's; Expected completion of the sale.
- Fred's adds coolers to boost store traffic, marketbasket. Howell, Debbie // DSN Retailing Today;4/25/2005, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p6
This article informs that Southeastern discounter Fred's Inc. has joined other large dollar-store chains in the trend of adding coolers as a means to boost customer traffic and the average ticket, at the same time expanding its reach to low-income shoppers that use food stamps. With stores...