California Secretary of State Resigns as Governor Prepares to Push Reform
- Reform DB plans, using personal accounts and big-fund advantage. Forman, Jon // Pensions & Investments;3/7/2005, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p13
The article discusses about defined benefit plans in California. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed closing the state's traditional defined benefit plans and forcing all new public employees into new defined contribution plans. The governor wants California to adopt a...
- LEGISLATURE. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;5/23/2008, Issue 323869, p6
The article reports on the constitutional amendment proposed by Republican Senator Abel Maldonado of Santa Ana that would ban pay raises for the governor and other state elected officials during a budget deficit in California. Maldonado expects reactions on the bill to be unfavorable. The state...
- Special Election Set. Broderick, Pat // San Diego Business Journal;6/20/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 25, p47
Reports on the call of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for a statewide special election for November 8, 2005 while promoting some controversial reforms. Proposed constitutional amendments to be considered by the voters; Demand for labor unions to get written permission from their...
- The Golden State Is Made of Lead. Cavanaugh, Tim // Reason;Mar2011, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p78
The article focuses on the financial problems of California. State spending declined by almost 20 billion dollars during 2008-2010 and in December, governor Arnold Schwarzenegger had to convene an emergency meeting to close an additional gap of 6 billion dollars in the budget which was earlier...
- California Plans Less Borrowing. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/17/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31885, p1
Reports on key provisions of the revised budget proposed offered by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in May 2004. Cuts in the second installment of economic recovery bonds; Bond financing for schools; Pension obligation bond plan.
- Farewell, My Lovely. Cavanaugh, Tim // Reason;Mar2011, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p31
The article presents the author's comments on how public pension is creating financial problems for California. He says that with a budget deficit of 28 billion dollars, California is under a state of economic emergency, declared by former governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. He says that pension...
- Calif.'s omen for the nation. Goddard, Ben // Hill;5/21/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 59, p33
The article reports on the initiative of California's Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to launch package measures on the ballot to provide sanity and stability to the budget process of the state.
- Schwarzenegger's Last Call: Another Special Session for New Lawmakers. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;11/15/2010, Vol. 374 Issue 33416, p32
The article reports on the plans of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to call a special session for new lawmakers to deal with the state's budget deficit.
- Cary: Fallacy of a Soak-the-Rich Strategy. Cary, Mary Kate // U.S. News Digital Weekly;5/22/2009, Vol. 1 Issue 18, p19
The author discusses the effort of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to gather support for Proposition 16, which aims to address the 15 billion U.S. dollars budget deficit.