- Only You Can Avoid Forest Fires. Rennicke, Jeff // Backpacker;Aug2000, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p114
Presents several tips on how to avoid and control forest fires.
- From dragon slayers. Tom, T. // Mother Earth News;Sep/Oct87, Issue 107, p80
A guide to fighting and preventing wildfires. How weather, topography and the nature of the fuel affects wildfires. How to secure your home against wildfires. INSET: Firefighting tools..
- Horsepower help. Casey, Carrie // American Forests;Nov/Dec92, Vol. 98 Issue 11/12, p47
States that draft horse teams helped clear fuelbreaks in the East Bay Hills of Oakland in the summer of 1991. As a result, vegetation that can fuel fires, such as the one in the Oakland hills, will be substancially reduced on the East Bay Municipal Utility District's portion of the...
- Eye in the sky. // Time;9/3/1990, Vol. 136 Issue 10, p53
Reports that the state of California will use volunteer patrols of hang gliders to spot forest fires before they burn out of control. Radio equipped gliders; Firebugs.
- The wildfire fiasco. McLean, Herbert E. // American Forests;May/Jun93, Vol. 99 Issue 5/6, p18
Discusses the wildfire crisis where more attention is given to fire suppression than to fuels reduction through prescribed burning and other means. Forest fire incidents; Natural fires to clear the understory of excess fuels; Firefighting organization of the Forest Service; Labeling of fire as...
- Forest Service fights fire with fire. Horne, Chris // American Forests;Autumn96, Vol. 102 Issue 4, p36
Reports on the United States Forest Service land managers' plan of using prescribed fire to prevent the wildfire disasters in the West. Tragedy at Storm King Mountain; Environment Protection Agency's assertion on the health effect of fine particles emitted by forest fire.
- Smokey Bear. // Jack & Jill;Oct/Nov93, Vol. 55 Issue 7, p16
Presents the story of the Smokey Bear program. Battling of forest fires in the United States in the 1940s; Choice of Bambi as a fire prevention symbol by the United States Forest Service; Switch to a bear as a symbol; Painting of the first Smokey Bear poster; Use of the slogan `Only you can...
- State officials get fired up over major blazes. Sutherland, Billie // San Diego Business Journal;5/29/95, Vol. 16 Issue 22, p14
Reports on forest fire prevention and control in San Diego, California. Comments from Richard Wilson, director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF); Details on CDF's lawsuit against San Diego Gas & electric Co.; Goals of CDF's California Fire Strategies Committee.
- Safety at stump jumper operations. Panek, Frank M. // Fire Engineering;Aug95, Vol. 148 Issue 8, p75
Discusses tactics in suppressing brush and forest fires. Ways of reducing the heat leg of the fire triangle; Usage of fire control lines; Importance of an understanding of weather conditions; Safety issues in stump-jumper operations; Hazards in woodland operations.