UNIFORMS OFFER MORE CHOICES
- DRESS BLUES. Calfee, Mica // Fire Chief;Jan2005, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p68
Provides tips for choosing the right uniform for fire fighters. Importance of setting an objective; Impact of uniform preference on an employee's image; Enumeration of considerations of rank identification on a uniform.
- Meet Fireman Tom. // Click;Nov/Dec2007, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p14
An interview with firefighter Tom Howard is presented. He demonstrates how firemen get ready to respond to a fire. When asked about the purpose of wearing a fireman's belt, he says that it is used for carrying gloves, a flashlight, an ax, a chainsaw and any equipment that a fireman will be...
- Norfolk deploys new station wear. // Fire;Mar2013, Vol. 105 Issue 1355, p26
The article reports that the Fire and Rescue Service (FRS) of Norfolk, England introduced its new uniform in accordance with the National Fire Service Integrated Clothing Project (ICP).
- Volunteers Corner: THE FIRST TWO SECONDS. Buckman III, John M. // Fire Engineering;Aug2006, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p12
The article on the theory called adaptive unconscious, which can be used by incident commanders of fire fighters in the U.S. The paper also aims to encourage firefighters, officers, chiefs, and incident commanders to rely on their intuitive decision-making processes. It was stated that to make...
- BECOMING A GOOSE IN A WORLD OF TURKEYS: EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP IN THE FIRE SERVICE. Stoney, Lori P. // Fire Engineering;Aug2006, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p69
The article focuses on effective leadership in fire prevention service in the U.S. A good fire service leader must learn the quality of character. These leaders are infused with humor and humility. A proficient leader has a vision an is intensely focused on outcome and results and has a workable...
- Fire fighter fatalities 1998-2001: overview with an emphasis on structure related traumatic fatalities. Hodous, T. K.; Pizatella, T. J.; Braddee, R.; Castillo, D. N. // Injury Prevention (1353-8047);Aug2004, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p222
Objective: To review the causes of all fire fighter line-of-duty-deaths from 1998 through 2001, and present recommendations for preventing fatalities within the specific subgroup of structure related events. Methods: Fire fighter fatality data from the United States Fire Administration were...
- Firefighters Teach Fire Safety. // Weekly Reader - Edition 2;10/3/2003, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p3
Deals with the role of firefighters in teaching children and other people about fire safety.
- Building Hazards on the Outside. Morelock, Jamie C. // Fire Engineering;Nov2007, Vol. 160 Issue 11, p36
The article discusses various dangers which are faced by fire fighters who are fighting a fire from the outside of a building. Differences of the dangers faced by fire fighters inside and outside a building are mentioned. Descriptions of various buildings which possess dangers for external fire...
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR. Woods, Don; Lewin, Robert; Walsh, Konrad; Carrigan, Scott // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p54
Several letters to the editor are presented including one which discusses the need for fire service instructors to adapt to changes when training fire fighters, another which calls on the government to ban sky lanterns, and another which defines good leadership in fire service.