NIOSH Reports on Nightclub Fatality
- Lakanal House: another watershed? Wright, David // Fire;Mar2013, Vol. 105 Issue 1355, p12
The article reports on the implications of the inquiries into Lakanal House in Great Britain Fire and Rescue Service (FRS) on how to deal with fire disasters. It says that criticism to the performance of the FRS during the fire and rescue response is always expected especially when there is a...
- CRITICAL INCIDENT STRESS MANAGEMENT. // Fire Engineering;Dec2004, Vol. 157 Issue 12, p22
This article discusses various issues related to critical incident stress management (CISM). According to John Coleman, deputy chief of fire prevention at Toledo Department of Fire and Rescue, Ohio, they have had a CISM team since the late 1980s. They activate their team, comprised of several...
- It's Foolish to Ignore the Lessons of Proximity. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Dec2007, Vol. 51 Issue 12, p30
The author reflects on the goal of lessening line-of-duty deaths in fire services in the U.S. He asserts that if the number of firefighter fatalities are lessened, the loss of life to fire of those being protected will also be reduced. He cites the Near-Miss Reporting System concept, of which he...
- Around the State. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p26
Presents news related to fire prevention in Minnesota as of July 2005. Fire officials who were recognized for helping increase awareness of arson in Andover; Appointment of Donna Honeyman as the fire captain of the Cottage Grove Fire Department; Amount of grant received by the Hamel Fire...
- Pride Can Come from More than Run Numbers. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Jul2004, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p30
Focuses on the qualities of a productive fire company in the U.S. Description of fire stations.
- Fire services charity wins a clutch of awards. // Fire Safety Engineering;Oct2005, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p5
Reports that the Fire Services National Benevolent Fund has received a recognition for its financial and accounting processes at the Great Britain Charity Awards 2005 in London, England. Recipients of the award; Criteria selection of the award; Objective of the award.
- Sparks fly over merger. Schnitzler, Peter // Indianapolis Business Journal;8/16/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 23, p1
Reports on proposals to consolidate local fire services in Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana. Purpose of the proposals; Firefighters' opinions on the proposals; Details of the plan under the Indianapolis Works program.
- Respect the Past, Advocate the Future. Coleman, Ronny J. // Fire Chief;Nov2005, Vol. 49 Issue 11, p22
The article focuses on management of fire departments in the United States. Firefighting is a unique profession in the sense that firefighting is a young person's job at the end of a hoseline and an older person's career when it comes to managing a fire department. A fire chief should be able to...
- Fire Fighting Occupations. // Occupational Outlook Handbook;2006, p1
The article describes the functions of fire fighters. Fire fighting involves hazardous conditions and long irregular hours. Fire fighters help protect and public and their property by rapidly responding to a variety of emergencies. They should be alert when at work and must be prepared to...