Making the whole Year Special
- Three More Start-Ups Target Black Audience. Moss, Linda; Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;09/11/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 37, p38
Reports on cable television networks targeting the African American market. Launching of the Black Music Television Inc., a 24-hour cable service that will air African-American and ethnic music videos; Word Network's focus on religious and gospel programming; Urban Broadcasting Co.'s UBC-TV.
- BET and Encore launch first black movie channel. // Jet;10/14/96, Vol. 90 Issue 22, p33
Announces the joint venture of BET Holdings Inc. and Encore Media Corp. to create the first cable channel devoted to Afro-American film artists. The channel known as BET Movies/Starz!3; Roles of Robert L. Johnson and John J. Sie; Types of movies to be shown; Black Entertainment Television Inc....
- Blacks take share of 19th CableACE Awards. // Jet;12/08/97, Vol. 93 Issue 3, p62
Reports on black actors winning CableACE Awards in 1997. Chris Rock for Best Entertainment Host and Best Variety Special/Series; Alfre Woodard for Best Actress, Movie or Miniseries; Eamonn Walker for Best Actor, Dramatic Series; Kimberly Elise for Best Supporting Actress, Movie or Mini-Series;...
- Diversity Takes Center Stage. Brady, Shirley // Cable World (10427228);9/23/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 35, p22
Highlights the issues discussed at the 2002 National Association of Minorities in Communications (NAMIC) conference. Increase in the number of Afro-American employees and executives in cable operators; Effects of industry consolidation on the association; Issues discussed by roundtable members.
- Showtime celebrates Black History Month. // New York Amsterdam News;02/05/98, Vol. 89 Issue 6, p28
Presents the variety of African-American themed programs featured in Showtime, as the network salutes to Black History Month. Showtime original pictures `Blind Faith' and Showtime Original Pictures for Kids `The Sweetest Gift'; Short films by Afro-American filmmakers; Other box office hits.
- New network news promises African-American news 24/7. Carrillo, Karen Juanita // New York Amsterdam News;2/13/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the launch of an African-American-owned television network Major Broadcasting Cable (MBC) Network's 24-hour news channel MBC News: The Urban Voice. Owner of MBC; Other partners of the network; Development of the channel to provide information about public affairs with an...
- Industry promotes black history month. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;01/31/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p32
Reports on the promotion of the 2000 Black History Month in the United States. Activities of cable operators, trade groups and networks; Offerings of Cable in the Classroom for teachers.
- LaBelle, Jackson win Trumpet Awards. // Multichannel News;01/17/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p30
Reports that TBS Superstation will broadcast its annual `Trumpet Awards' show recognizing the accomplishments of African Americans on February 26, 2000. Names of some of the award winners; History and description of the awards.
- Cable Diversifies Black History Month Projects. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;1/28/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p18
Reports the development of programs depicting facets of African-American life and history by the cable television industry in the United States. Celebration of the Black History Month by the industry; Subject of the Black History Month programming; Statement regarding the cable programming by...