Past Tobacco Profits Ruled Off-Limits
- Issuers May Have to Update 'Stale' Financial Disclosures, Maco Warns. Hume, Lynn Stevens // Bond Buyer;09/18/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30481, p5
Reports that municipal bond issuers risk violating securities fraud laws if they disclose a `stale' audited financial statement without noting any `material' deterioration in their finances that may have occurred after the fiscal year ended. Warning given by Paul Maco, director of the United...
- New York City's tobacco bond plan raises rating, structure questions. Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;01/29/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30568, p48
Reports on the favorable response given by investors to New York City's plan to sell bonds backed by the city's share of the nationwide tobacco settlement. Creation of the Transitional Finance Authority; Speculations about the bonds' structure and security; Tobacco companies involved in the...
- Florida May Insure Settlement Funds Should Big Tobacco Fold. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;04/07/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30866, p3
Reports on Florida's efforts to protect its ability to issue bonds against its tobacco industry settlement revenues as of April 7, 2000. State legislature's plan to insure the revenues should tobacco companies fail due to damages awarded by juries.
- Will Nassau Trump NYC? Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;10/04/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30739, p1
Reports on the legal developments affecting the ability of municipalities to issue bonds backed by revenues from the tobacco settlement in the United States. New York City and Nassau County, New York's separate bids to become the first to issue such bonds; Effects of the civil suit filed by the...
- Treasuries Push Munis Up 1/8 to 1/4. Chesla, Nicholas // Bond Buyer;5/6/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31380, p2
Reports the increase of municipal bond prices in Atlanta, Georgia. Release of the bond-friendly economic data; Enhancement of corporate profitability; Generation of public interest and activity.
- Restatements of earnings may be an early sign of securities fraud. // Corporate Board;May/Jun99, Vol. 20 Issue 116, p28
Investigates the link of restatements of corporate earnings reports to securities fraud in the United States. Vulnerability of manipulation; Realities of the stock market reflected on the increase in restatements.
- Montville Approves $12M Rand-Whitney Payment. // Official Board Markets;10/11/2008, Vol. 84 Issue 41, p1
The article reports on the plan of the local government of Montville in Connecticut to issue up to $12 million in bonds over 15 years. The plan is to pay Rand-Whitney Containerboard the money it owes for not meeting agreed upon water standards for the company. It is stated that the plan will...
- Step one: Bankruptcy. Kruger, Daniel // Bond Buyer;06/11/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30660, p1
Reports on the municipal bond market's examination of bankruptcy issues which may affect bonds backed by funds from the settlement between states and the American tobacco industry. Rating of bonds backed by the tobacco settlement; Key concerns of municipalities in initial securitization deals.
- Counties Trust in Tobacco. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;11/06/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31011, p1
Focuses on issues on tobacco settlement securitization in New York. Supporters of the New York Counties Tobacco Trust I; Deal between the government and tobacco industry; Amount of the tobacco bond deal; Implication of the multiple amortization schedules for the stability of cash flows;...