Scholarship Honoring Damon Smith Set Up at Univ. of Texas
- The Superfund Basic Research Program--Research for the Future. // Environmental Health Perspectives;Aug2006, Vol. 114 Issue 8, pA489
The article provides information on the Superfund Basic Research Program, a university-based grants program established in 1987 in the U.S. The program supports basic research for practical application to address the nationâ€™s problems associated with hazardous waste sites. It is evolving...
- Why bother with a COST Action? The benefits of networking in science. Kostelidou, Kalliopi; Babiloni, Fabio // Nonlinear Biomedical Physics;2010 Supplement 1, Vol. 4, p1
A COST Action is a consortium of -mainly- European scientists (but open to international cooperation) working on a common research area, with the same subject; COST provides funding to the Actions for networking and dissemination activities, thus the participating scientists must have secured...
- The Concept of Scholarship: Educational Scholarship and Its Application in Iran. Jalili, M.; Mirzazadeh, A.; Jaffarian, A. // Iranian Journal of Medical Education;Summer2009, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p1
One of the notions entered in university fields in the last two decades is the concept of scholarship and especially educational scholarship. Due to the inclusion of this concept in the first article of faculty members' academic promotion bylaw and considering it as a mandatory component for...
- Donation Supports UCSD Professorship. Allen, Mike // San Diego Business Journal;2/11/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p9
The article reports on the $500,000 endowment given by the Nicholas family to the University of California's (UC) Greek History Department in San Diego. It states that $335,000 of the donation will be utilized to fund the research activities carried out in the field of modern Greek history from...
- Honey-do list at bee facility now shorter, thanks to $100,000 Haagen-Dazs donation. // Western Farm Press;3/8/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p10
The article reports that honey-do list at the newly revitalized Harry H. Laidlaw Jr. Honey Bee Research Facility of the University of California (UC) Davis is now shorter, due to a $100,000 research donation by ice cream maker HaagenDazs to address the recent decline in the bee population....
- National research grant links IBM, Eller College. Moore, Philip S. // Inside Tucson Business;8/9/2004, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p3
Discusses the Shared University Research Technology grant awarded to the Eller College of Management in Tucson, Arizona by International Business Machines Corp. in 2004. Goal of creating more computer storage space by using it more effectively; Details of the grant; Development and...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: The Canadian situation. Stratton, Elizabeth // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/15/97, Vol. 157 Issue 10, p1405
Looks at the health problem in Canada of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). The number of deaths and those affected; The concern that blood is a possible risk of transmission of CJD; The coordination of intensive surveillance for CJD in Canada; The contact point for information about CJD.
- Blood products recalled. // FDA Consumer;Mar1995, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p3
Informs about the recall of some blood and plasma products because of possible contamination with a virus-like agent that is thought to cause a rare neurological disease. Actions by the American Red Cross, in cooperation with Baxter Healthcare Corp.; Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- Rise in CJD is not a true increase. Boulton, Alison // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/17/96, Vol. 313 Issue 7054, p383
Reports on the rise of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in Great Britain. Clinical manifestations of CJD; Association with bovine spongiform encephalopathy; Attribution to the increase in the number of cases of CJD.