COMMENTARY: Ezetimibe plus simvastatin lowered lipid levels more than simvastatin monotherapy in primary hypercholesterolemia
- Ezetimibe for the treatment of primary (heterozygous-familial and non-familial) hypercholesterolaemia: NICE technology appraisal guidance. Charles, Z.; Pugh, E.; Barnett, D. // Heart;May2008, Vol. 94 Issue 5, p642
The article discusses the NICE technology appraisal guidance on ezetimibe for primary hypercholesterolaemia. The main points of the guidance include recommendation of ezetimibe monotherapy as an option for treatment for adults who are to be initiated on statin therapy, intolerant to statin...
- Lowering cholesterol in patients with coronary artery disease â€“ the use of statins. Bukachi, F.; Rana, B. S.; Henein, M. Y. // Caribbean Health;Jul1999, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p14
The article reports on the use of statins in lowering cholesterol in patients with coronary artery diseases. Statins are inhibitors of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase, the enzyme whose action is the step in the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway. Correction of other risk factors...
- Ezetimibe added to ongoing statin therapy reduced LDL cholesterol in primary hypercholesterolemia. Bronson, David L. // ACP Journal Club;Jul/Aug2003, Vol. 139 Issue 1, p8
Presents information on a study which added ezetimibe, a lipid-lowering agent, to ongoing statin therapy for treatment of patients with primary hypercholesterolemia. Main outcome measures; Efficacy of ezetimibe; Safety and efficacy of statins.
- Editorial Statins: [Hot Topic: Statins: Effects Beyond Cholesterol Lowering (Guest Editor: Garry X. Shen)]. Shen, Garry X. // Current Drug Targets - Cardiovascular & Haematological Disorders;Apr2005, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p111
Discusses the effects of statins on human health beyond cholesterol lowering. Purpose for the development of statins; Benefits; Effect of statins on non-lipid serum markers.
- Case report: Sudden Statins withdrawal. Ahmed, Almoutaz Alkhier // Middle East Journal of Age & Ageing;May2012, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p35
Statins is a group of drugs used to lower blood cholesterol. This group of medication has a different mode of action to improve the blood vessels' function. Acute withdrawal of this medication may cause serious hazards. This phenomenon has scarcely been discussed in the literature. We report a...
- CURRENT TRENDS IN SIMVASTATIN THERAPY FOR ENHANCED EFFICIENCY. AARTHY, S.; HARI, B. N.VEDHA; DEVI, D. RAMYA // International Journal of Pharma & Bio Sciences;Jul2014, Vol. 5 Issue 3, pP-279
Statins are mainly used as the inhibitors of enzyme 3-hydroxy-3 methyl glutaryl coenzyme A (HMG COA) reductase which is responsible for the synthesis of cholesterol. Apart from the cholesterol reducing activity they also facilitate as antiinflammatory and cardio-protective agents. Solubility is...
- Statins for heart failure: at the crossroads between cholesterol reduction and pleiotropism. von Haehling, S.; Anker, S. D. // Heart;Jan2005, Vol. 91 Issue 1, p1
This article focuses on the risk reduction ability of statin. Statin treatment consistently reduces cardiovascular risk. A reduction in recurrent coronary events has been observed as early as 16 weeks after the initiation of treatment. This timeframe is too short to ascribe to the positive...
- Q & A. // Total Health;Oct/Nov2004, Vol. 26 Issue 5, Special Section p4
Presents information on the cholesterol drug Zetia. Comparison of the drug with statin; Effectiveness of taking Zetia along with statin to reduce cholesterol levels; Way to manage inflammatory response.
- Inaccurate cholesterol tests hit use of statins. // Pulse;7/2/2005, Vol. 65 Issue 26, p1
Reports on a news analysis which concluded that patients in Great Britain could be missing out on treatment with statins because of inaccurate cholesterol testing. Medical associations that coordinated the study; Report's claim that some tests underestimated total cholesterol by up to 20 percent...