Minimum wage push is mulled
- Minimizing the damage on the minimum wage. Morrissey, Matthew // National Journal;4/10/99, Vol. 31 Issue 15, p958
Discusses the political dynamics of the minimum wage issue in the United States. Disparity in the rate of wages and inflation; Legislative options in addressing the issue; National Restaurant Association's study on the annual growth of minimum-wage jobs in the restaurant industry; Position...
- Federal issue. Boisclair, Marc // Restaurant Business;10/15/97, Vol. 96 Issue 20, p17
Reports on a controversy ignited by a National Restaurant Association's (NRA) endorsement of a Congressional bill that would pre-empt state minimum-wage laws with a federal standard. Details on the legislation; Reasons for the opposition of some NRA directors to the endorsement; Remarks from...
- The shifting labor landscape. RUGGLESS, RON // Nation's Restaurant News;5/11/2015, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p12
The article looks into the changes in wage and tip credit government regulations in the U.S. restaurant industry. A forecast by the National Restaurant Association indicate the impact of California and New York on foodservice wage trends. Also discussed are the rule change in tip credits...
- Should Congress Increase the Federal Minimum Wage and Index It to Inflation? Sickler, Melvin ¿Mel" // Congressional Digest;May2013, Vol. 92 Issue 5, p19
The article presents the testimony of Melvin "Mel" Sickler, owner of several restaurant franchises and member of the National Restaurant Association (NRA) lobby group, at a March 14, 2013, hearing of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) entitled "Keeping up With...
- Retail, restaurant benefits to feel pain of minimum wage hikes. Giardina, Michael // Ebn.benefitsnews.com;11/14/2014, p4
The article discusses how minimum wage increases will hurt retail and restaurant benefits in the U.S. Topics covered include the cities and states that decided to raise the minimum wage during the midterm elections of 2014, the National Restaurant Association (NRA), and the Federal Insurance...
- The first minimum wage laws. Thies, Clifford F. // CATO Journal;Winter91, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p715
Reconsiders the available data pertaining to the economic effect of the first minimum wage laws in light of contemporary minimum wage theory. Historical overview; Minimum wages and justice; Distribution of wages; Effects of minimum wages; Assessment of the effectiveness of early wage laws in...
- [Should the `Minimum Wage Restoration Act...']. Ellis, W. // Congressional Digest;Aug/Sep87, Vol. 66 Issue 8/9, p200
Four articles argue against passage of the `Minimum Wage Restoration Act of 1987.'
- Clinton signs bill to increase U.S. minimum wage. // Jet;9/9/96, Vol. 90 Issue 17, p32
Reports that President Bill Clinton signed a bill that will increase the federal minimum wage in 1997. Details of the bill; Clinton's opinion; Bill signed as children of minimum wage earners looked on.
- Minn. tables minimum-wage hike. // Nation's Restaurant News;4/17/95, Vol. 29 Issue 16, p11
Reports on the termination of deliberations by the Minnesota Senate regarding a minimum-wage increase bill.