Irradiation making gains among consumer groups
- INCLUDING IRRADIATION, OTHER MATTERS: Food safety comment period ending. Salkin, Stephanie // FoodService Director;4/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p43
Presents an update on the food industry in the U.S. as of April 15, 2003. Stance taken by food industry associations on the irradiation of food; Amount of frozen ground beef purchased by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for an April shipment; Scope of USDA purchases of turkey/turkey...
- Fresh Fish--One Month Old. // Management Review;Nov65, Vol. 54 Issue 11, p25
Reports on the findings of the United States Department of Commerce concerning radiation preservation of food. Factors to consider in radiation processing; Economics aspects of the food preservation procedure.
- IN THE MIX. // DSN Retailing Today;11/11/2002, Vol. 41 Issue 21, p11
Presents news related to the food industry and trade in the United States as of November 2002. U.S. Department of Agriculture's approval of the use of irradiation technology to imported fruits and vegetables; Selection of Food Lion Inc. as Regional Retailer of the Year by America's Second Harvest.
- Enhancing the Hygienic Quality of Some Ghanaian Food Products by Gamma Irradiation. Adu-Gyamfi, Abraham; Appiah, Victoria // Food & Nutrition Sciences;Feb2012, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p219
The microbiological quality (microbial load and profile) of 6 Ghanaian food products was determined before and after irradiation (0 kGy, 5 kGy, 7.5 kGy, 10 kGy) using standard microbiological methods. The microbial load was estimated by the total viable count (TVC) and moulds and yeasts count...
- MoguÄ‡nosti primjene netradicionalnih postupaka procesiranja u mljekarskoj industriji. Jeličić, Irena; Božanić, Rajka; Tratnik, Ljubica; Lisak, Katarina // Mljekarstvo / Dairy;Apr-Jun2010, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p113
In the past two decades a lot of research in the field of food science has focused on new, non-thermal processing methods. This article describes the most intensively investigated new processing methods for implementation in the dairy industry, like microfiltration, high hydrostatic pressure,...
- Zap! Knopper, Melissa // E: The Environmental Magazine;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p40
Focuses on the endorsement of food irradiation in the U.S. Motivation for promoting the use of food irradiation; Benefits of food irradiation; Drawback of food irradiation; Attitude of the consumers and the food industry to food irradiation.
- Irradiation Gains Ground. Labetti, Kristi Sue // Frozen Food Age;Jul2003, Vol. 51 Issue 12, p46
Focuses on the controversies surrounding food irradiation in the U.S. Benefits of irradiation; Safety issues associated with food irradiation; Misperception on irradiation; Response of consumers to irradiated foods.
- IRRADIATION OF READY-TO-EAT SAUSAGES CONTAINING LYCOPENE. GÁMEZ, M. C.; GARCÍA, M. L.; SELGAS, M. D.; CALVO, M. M. // Italian Journal of Food Science;2011, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p260
The objective was to obtain a new ready-to-eat (RTE) dry fermented sausage enriched with lycopene by the addition of dry tomato peel as font of this carotene; the product was submitted to irradiation and stored. The effect of these treatments on microbiota, lycopene concentration,...
- Technical Forces Shaping the U.S. Food-Processing Industry. Sanderson, Gary W.; Schweigert, Bernard S. // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Dec85, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p1143
Discusses technological advances influencing the food-processing industry in the United States. Food irradiation; Advances in nutritional sciences; Biotechnology.