'Nanny State is spoiling the trade'
- Marks men target pay. // Commercial Motor;10/23/2003, Vol. 198 Issue 5051, p12
Provides information on a revised pay offer for drivers who deliver to Marks & Spencer stores in Great Britain in 2003. Vote of the drivers for the offer following months of negotiations; Increase in overtime payments for drivers.
- Staying compliant with drivers' hours. // Commercial Motor;1/20/2011, Vol. 214 Issue 5416, p24
The article provides an answer to a question related to overtime driving by drivers in bad weather.
- EU slaps Portuguese. // Commercial Motor;10/23/2003, Vol. 198 Issue 5051, p9
Reports on the legal action imposed by the European Commission (EC) against the Portuguese government over its failure to properly manage the drivers' hours rules. Warning issued by the EC to Portugal regarding drivers' hours.
- The ABC's of driver pay. Petty, Gary // Fleet Owner;Mar2005, Vol. 100 Issue 3, p33
The article reports that activity-based compensation enhances productivity. A few years ago a growing, high profile private fleet faced a labor crisis. Driver hourly rates and overtime costs were rising, while productivity was falling. For a private fleet running some 8-million miles a year to...
- What does the industry think? // Commercial Motor;5/6/2010, Vol. 212 Issue 5380, p28
The article presents the views of several executives on the effect of European Commission's Working Time Directive on the road transportation industry. Truck dealer Charles Burke banned overtime for his drivers to comply with the rule. Transport manager John Bell says that it is difficult for...
- It's the economy again. Weir, Tom // Progressive Grocer;10/1/2003, Vol. 82 Issue 14, p3
Presents information on the Working America, an organization formed by the American Federation of Labor & Congress Industrial Organizations for workers who are not union members but who agree with some of its aims. Focus of the organization; Stance of the organization on the U.S. Department of...
- The Overtime Dilemma. Thompson, Elizabeth D. // Credit Union Executive Newsletter;11/14/2005, Vol. 31 Issue 19, p5
Focuses on the issues and concerns regarding the value of overtime as a management solution in credit union operations in the U.S. Assessment of the employee's perspective on overtime work; Views on short- and long-term effects of overtime work; Insights on the popular misconceptions of overtime...
- Overtime work: an expanded view. Carr, Darrell E. // Monthly Labor Review;Nov86, Vol. 109 Issue 11, p36
Examines trends in overtime work in the United States, collected in May 1985 through a special supplement of the Current Population Survey. Reasons of employers for using overtime hours; Demographic characteristics of overtime workers; Comparison by occupation and industry.
- Putting in overtime. Miklave, Matthew T.; Trafimow, A. Jonathan // Workforce;Oct2001, Vol. 80 Issue 10, p98
Discusses the legality of an employer's plan to add a stipulation regarding the overtime policy of the company. Responsibility of the company to pay its employees for the extra time they worked; Reasons why employees work overtime.