Are your imports in the news?
- Sofas used to hide smuggled cigarettes. // Cabinet Maker;1/21/2005, Issue 5422, p3
This article reports that there are fears in the furniture industry that the increasing use of furniture consignments to smuggle cigarettes is hurting legitimate importers. The cigarettes were found inside doctored sofas carried in two Polish lorries delivered to the furniture importers'...
- Illegal trade in tobacco in MERCOSUR countries. // Trends in Organized Crime;Sep2009, Vol. 12 Issue 3/4, p267
An excerprt from the report "Illegal trade in tobacco in MERCOSUR countries," by Alejandro Ramos is presented.
- Cigarette smuggling finds a home in the West. Square, David // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;01/13/98, Vol. 158 Issue 1, p95
Describes the prevalence of tobacco smuggling in the western provinces of Canada, as of January 13, 1998. Reduction of taxes to try to reduce smuggling; Refusal of western provinces to reduce taxes; Smuggling a thriving industry; Who smuggles; Use of mail; Role of federal government; Exporting...
- Where They Still Walk A Mile for a Camel. // Time;10/15/1965, Vol. 86 Issue 16, p54
The article focuses on the smuggling of cigarette in Italy and Switzerland. It states that the smuggled cigarettes in Italy are considered to be coming from Switzerland, in which the Swiss smugglers still register their cigarette purchases for export. It says that cigarette exports from...
- How can cigarette smuggling be reduced? Joossens, Luk; Raw, Martin // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/14/2000, Vol. 321 Issue 7266, p947
Discusses the international prevalence of cigarette and tobacco smuggling, and examines potential methods for the reduction of such practices. Impact of taxation and consumer prices on cigarette smuggling; Highlights of Spain's successful anti-smuggling campaign; Why the reduction of cigarette...
- Vietnam: smuggling adds value. Joosssens, Luk // Tobacco Control;Jun2003, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p120
Examines the smuggling of cigarette in Vietnam. Major smuggled brand; Smuggling route; Cigarette taxes.
- Smugglers `n' smokes. Whitall, Susan // Detroit Monthly;Jul96, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p58
Reports on cigarette smuggling in Michigan. Rise of cigarette tax in Michigan; Cheaper cigarettes coming in from other states; Effects of smuggling on Michigan.
- The price of punitive taxation. Verburg, Peter // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;2/21/94, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p6
Cites a report by Toronto's Lindquist Avey Macdonald Baskerville Inc., forensic accountants, which found that one in six cigarettes sold in Canada in 1992 was contraband. Comparisons with American prohibition in the 1920s; Federal government announces moves to curtail the enormous traffic in...
- A. OLAF Requests Gibraltar and Spain to Start Judicial Proceedings on Cigarette Smuggling. Zagaris, Bruce // International Enforcement Law Reporter;Nov2014, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p439
The article reports that the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF) has asked Gibraltar and Spain to check increased cases of cigarette smuggling in their countries. It reveals that the size of the illicit cigarette market has increased in Gibraltar and Southern Spain which has resulted in major...