Fiscally Sound D.C. Sees General Fund Top $1B, a First
- Philadelphia Ends FY '05 With Bigger Surplus Than Expected. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;11/7/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32854, p34
Reports on the fiscal 2005 budget surplus of nearly seventy million dollars in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Decline in projected payroll costs and an additional six million dollars in sales tax collections; Improvement of the city's financial health; Improvement of the economic conditions.
- Robust Growth Continues, As Does Pressure to Boost Borrowing. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;3/30/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32350, Special section p12
The article provides an overview of the fiscal condition of Washington D.C. The $370 million general operating surplus of Washington D.C. is attributed to the growing local economy and real-estate market and increase in tax collections. Mayor Anthony Williams comments on the city's financial...
- Surpluses reported. // State Government News;May2001, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p9
Reports on the budged surpluses of several states across the United States for the fiscal year ended September 30, 2000. Amount of the surpluses.
- The nation: Now the fight. // BRW;10/9/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 39, p14
Reports on the debate on how the Australian federal budget surplus should be spent.
- The nation: NSW surplus. // BRW;10/9/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 39, p15
Reports on the budget surplus of New South Wales for 2002-2003.
- District of Columbia Bumps Up Revenue Estimates for FY 2005. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;6/30/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31916, p35
Reports that a strengthening economy has raised tax collections and allowed the District of Columbia to upwardly revise local revenue estimates for the upcoming fiscal year. Revised baseline revenue estimate for the district; Progress in the district government since it regained its...
- Grassroots Lobbyists Descend on City Hall. Salmon, Barrington M. // Washington Informer;5/23/2013, Vol. 48 Issue 32, p21
The article discusses the budget surplus in the District of Columbia (DC) and how the grassroots organization coalition called the Fair Budget Coalition wants some funds allocated to welfare programs like Emergency Rental Assistance, the Local Rent Support Program and housing. Topics discussed...
- Congressional Oversight: Opportunities to Address Risks, Reduce Costs, and Improve Performance: T-AIMD-00-96. Walker, David M. // GAO Reports;2/17/2000, p1
No matter how large the projected budget surpluses may turn out to be, the government still has a responsibility to make the most prudent use of taxpayer dollars. The question of what to do with the surplus has largely focused on such options as new spending, tax cuts, and retiring the debt. But...
- Surplus Wish List. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/26/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32474, p35
The article reports on the surplus revenue of the state of Arkansas. Gubernatorial candidate Mike Beebe, said that should he win in the November 2006 election, he will be using $250 million to $300 million of the surplus revenue of the state to pay off bonds. He adds that additional revenue...