Washington debates new law impact on paychecks
- NEWS SUMMARIES. // Benefits & Compensation Digest;Apr2007, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p45
The article presents summaries of articles on benefits and compensation from the Employee Benefits Infosource database developed by the Information Center. They include "Family and Medical Leave Act: The Employee Benefits Implications," "Growing Private Pensions: A Supporting Role for the...
- DEFENDING PAID SICK LEAVE IN NEW YORK CITY. Watson, Rebeccah Golubock // Journal of Law & Policy;2011, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p973
The article discusses whether the New York City Council has the authority to pass the Paid Sick Time Act introduced by Council member Gale Brewer and whether state and federal laws governing employee benefits would preempt this proposal. It explores the gap left by federal and state law...
- Q&A Forum. // HR Specialist: Compensation & Benefits;Jun2011, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p6
The article presents questions and answers related to compensation and benefits in the U.S. such as the eligibility of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave and the applicability of the cash incentives for employees who choose not to enroll in the company's health insurance plan.
- Avoid legal pitfalls. // Automotive Marketing;Nov93, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p126
Reports on President Bill Clinton's signing into law the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. Requirements for employers to grant unpaid leaves of absence to employees for up to 12 weeks during any one-year period; Conditions for the application of the law; Coverage of the law; Requirement for...
- Should The Proposed "Family and Medical Leave Act" Be Approved? PRO. // Congressional Digest;May88, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p136
Argues in favor of the `Family and Medical Leave Act of 1988.' Those arguing for the act, including John J. Sweeney, International President, Service Employees International Union, AFL-CIO; Donna Lenhoff, Associate Director for Legal Policy and Programs, Women's Legal Defense Fund; Karen...
- Family and Medical Leave Policy. // Congressional Digest;May88, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p129
This section discusses the proposed `Family and Medical Leave Act of 1988' currently before the US Congress. Evolution of US family and medical leave policy; State and foreign programs; Regulations for federal employees; Recent action in Congress; Main provisions of the `Family and Medical...
- Summary of H.R.2 and S.5. // Congressional Digest;Apr91, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p101
Summarizes the provisions of H.R.2 and S.5, the House and Senate versions of the Family and Medical Leave Act. General requirements; Exemptions; Certification; Employment and benefits protection.
- Committee Report. // Congressional Digest;Apr91, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p102
Presents excerpts from the United States House Education and Labor Committee Report 101-28 on the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1989. Looks at women in the workforce, single parent families, home care of the elderly and disabled, and other related issues.
- GAO Report. // Congressional Digest;Apr91, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p104
Looks at an excerpt from the April 1989 General Accounting Office report on the cost of implementing Federal parental leave, based on the provisions of H.R. 770, the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1989.