Report Sees Trouble for Convention Center Hotels
- THE CENTER OF CONTENTION. Kovaleski, Dave // Association Meetings;Apr2005, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p16
Focuses on the oversaturation of the meetings market in the U.S. based on the analysis by professor Heywood Sanders on his report "Space Available: The Realities of Convention Centers as Economic Development Strategy." Reaction of the meetings industry to Sander's conclusions; Factors that...
- Convention Hotels. DeLollis, Barbara // Construction Bulletin;4/9/2004, Vol. 286 Issue 2, p4
Reports that cities across the United States are raising public money from bonds to finance big convention center hotels. Use of government borrowing privileges for economic development; University of Texas professor Heywood Sanders' opposition to the plans of cities; Effect of the moves on...
- The Great Convention Center Bailout. Newcombe, Tod // Governing;Dec2012, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p23
The article reports on Chicago's McCormick Place in Illinois, the nation's largest convention facility. The 882 million dollars West Building was opened in 2007. The nation's largest convention centers in Chicago, Las Vegas, Orlando and Atlanta attract trade shows and other events. University of...
- Convention Centers. // Medical Meetings;Dec2009 Vegas Supplement, p24
This article offers information on several convention centers located in Las Vegas, Nevada. It includes the Las Vegas Convention Center, the Mandalay Bay Convention Center, the Sands Expo and Convention Center, the Henderson Convention Center and the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. Data given...
- Mid-Atlantic States. // Association Meetings;Dec2002, Vol. 14 Issue 6, p55
Presents updates on convention centers in Mid-Atlantic States as of December 2002. Number of convention facilities that are expected to open by March 2003; Cost of building the centers; Number of convention centers that are being built. INSETS: THE CANDYMAN CAN;GOING Up.
- One Shoe Won't Fit All. McGee, Regina // Association Meetings;Oct2003, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p10
Presents suggestions in managing risk attrition associated with bookings outside the block in the meetings industry. Incentives that may be offered by associations for booking inside the block; Advice for hotel planners; Efforts done by the Convention Industry Council to address such problems.
- Arizona. // Association Meetings;Oct2003, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p79
Presents a guide in planning conventions in Arizona. Restaurants and accommodations available; Information on various convention facilities; Contact details of the Convention and Visitors Bureau in the state. INSETS: GOING Up;THE PHANTOM PLANNER.
- Hawaii. // Association Meetings;Oct2003, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p85
Presents a guide in planning conventions in Hawaii. Restaurants and accommodations available; Information on various convention facilities; Contact details of the Convention and Visitors Bureau in the state. INSETS: THE PHANTOM PLANNER;GOING Up.
- IH/M&RS participants report best industry show in six years. // American Laundry News (Crain Communications Inc. (MI));Dec2006, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p1
The article reports on the increase in record sales posted during the 2006 International Hotel/Motel & Restaurant Show in New York. A surge in quality buyers and an overall enhanced energy on the show are reported. The November 11-14 event at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center featured 1,250...