Employing people with learning disabilities
- Employers wait 18 months for disability guide. // Personnel Today;8/22/2006, p4
The article reports that the British government has been criticised for leaving employers uninformed about managing staff with learning difficulties. The government-commissioned report providing guidelines for employers, due to be published last year, is still pending. The government's Welfare...
- Rethinking work. McMillan, Ian // Learning Disability Practice;Jun2008, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p3
The article focuses on the value of works and refers to a new publication from United Response which contains an evaluation of a supported employment service for adults with learning disabilities in Greater Manchester, England. According to the author, people with learning disabilities who were...
- AGENCY WORKERS. // Community Care;2/21/2008, Issue 1710, p10
A photograph of Rakesh Mehta and Kamini Shah, both of whom have learning disabilities, is presented.
- Can Valuing People Now keep its jobs promise? // Learning Disability Today;Jun2009, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p12
The article presents the views of several individuals with learning disabilities on the ability of the Valuing People Now initiative to ensure employment opportunities for them in Great Britain. According to Joe Mellone, getting a job in a post room changed his life, and he has been assured that...
- SHINING: A LIGHT ON GOOD PRACTICE. Hicks, Ruth // Learning Disability Today;Dec2009, Vol. 9 Issue 9, p24
The article offers information on the efforts made by the organization Middlesbrough Adult Social Care Services to fulfill the needs of the people with learning disabilities in Middlesbrough, England. Various strategies have been adopted by the organization to help such people including the...
- Report highlights extent of exclusion. // Learning Disability Practice;Nov2005, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p4
The article discusses the report entitled "Rights of People with Intellectual Disabilities: Access to education and employment in the UK," published by the Open Society Institute and the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities. The report focuses on the extent to which people with...
- Perceived Barriers to Job Placement Revisited: Toward Practical Solutions. Fraser, Robert T.; Shrey, Donald F. // Journal of Rehabilitation;Oct-Dec86, Vol. 52 Issue 4
Examines the perceived barriers on job placement relative to disabled persons employment in the United States. Effect of practical job development and placement strategies on the performance of placement specialists; Lists of identified barriers on job placement; Role of placement specialist in...
- Partnerships: The Bridge from Disability to Ability Management. Roessier, Richard T.; Schriner, Kay Fletcher // Journal of Rehabilitation;Jan-Mar91, Vol. 57 Issue 1
Focuses on the importance of disability management in business and industry. Impact of ability management programs on employees; Need for disability management programs; Objectives of the program.
- Skating Through the Minefield. Janove, Jathan W. // HR Magazine;Mar2003, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p107
Presents guidelines for human resource professionals regarding Americans With Disabilities Act accommodation. Details of a case example;Criteria for determining whether a job function is essential; Reassignment options.