LAO's Budget Review
- Fresh Off a Huge Victory, California's Schwarzenegger Eyes Other Challenges. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;11/10/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32506, p3
The article discusses the challenges that will be faced by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in passing the initial fiscal year budget for 2008. The governor has passed a bigger budget that increased education spending without any new borrowing or taxes. Also adding to the difficulty of...
- Schwarzenegger Wants $15B Issue To Close Projected Budget Deficit. // Bond Buyer;5/15/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32876, p7
The article focuses on the proposal by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to issue $15 billion in bonds to be backed by state lottery revenue. The proposal stems from the increase of the projected fiscal 2009 budget deficit which also sets to $15 billion. He explains that the issuance...
- California Might Shrink Issuance Of Prop 57 Bonds in May Budget. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/12/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32131, p3
Reports on the presentation of the May revised budget proposal for fiscal 2006 on May 13, 2005 by California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Aim of the annual exercise to allow California governors to revise their January budget proposals to reflect updated financial data; Speculation that...
- California Democrats Lay Out Plan To Close Budget Gap With Tax Hikes. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/10/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32916, p24
The article reports on the tax increase proposal pushed by the Democratic lawmakers in California to address issues on the state's budget deficit. It notes that the proposal does not include Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's proposal to raise revenues for the 2008 fiscal year by issuing...
- Calif.'s omen for the nation. Goddard, Ben // Hill;5/21/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 59, p33
The article reports on the initiative of California's Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to launch package measures on the ballot to provide sanity and stability to the budget process of the state.
- Schwarzenegger's Last Call: Another Special Session for New Lawmakers. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;11/15/2010, Vol. 374 Issue 33416, p32
The article reports on the plans of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to call a special session for new lawmakers to deal with the state's budget deficit.
- Cary: Fallacy of a Soak-the-Rich Strategy. Cary, Mary Kate // U.S. News Digital Weekly;5/22/2009, Vol. 1 Issue 18, p19
The author discusses the effort of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to gather support for Proposition 16, which aims to address the 15 billion U.S. dollars budget deficit.
- State Starts 2004 Up to Its Neck in Budget Woes. Fine, Howard // San Diego Business Journal;1/5/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p20
Focuses on budget crisis in California. Results of car tax rollback; Plan of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to refinance the deficit; Proposal to increase property taxes on business to pay doe education programs.
- Angelides Warns About Bonding Suits. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;10/22/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31745, p1
Reports on the need for California governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger to deal with legal challenges involved in bond issues that the state plans to sell to patch budget deficit. Release of the pension-obligation bonds and fiscal recovery bonds; Generation of cash to repay short-term notes;...