Grand Forks, N.D.'s dike plans win big bond approval
- $48.5M dam expansion will ease Valley water shortages. Leiberman, Lisa // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;10/25/2002, Issue 322999, p1
Reports on the expansion of the Terminus Dam at Lake Kaweah, California to increase flood control and agriculture water supply shortage. Amount appropriated for the project; Increase in the storage capacity of the dam; Raising the level of the dam by 21 feet; Six fuse gates to be installed.
- Dike propagation within active central volcanic edifices: constraints from Somma-Vesuvius, Etna and analogue models. V. Acocella; M. Neri; R. Sulpizio // Bulletin of Volcanology;Mar2009, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p219
AbstractÂ Â Dikes within stratovolcanoes are commonly expected to have radial patterns. However, other patterns may also be found, due to regional stresses, magmatic reservoirs and topographic variations. Here, we investigate dike patterns within volcanic edifices by studying dike and...
- Mudskipper massacre. C.O. // Earth Island Journal;Summer97, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p11
Discusses the erection of a dike between the sea and Japan's tidal wetland, the Isahaya Bay, home to wildlife species and roosting grounds for migratory birds. Opposition to project; Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto's commitment to turn the wetlands into farmlands.
- Living sea walls keep floods at bay. Pearce, Fred // New Scientist;6/01/96, Vol. 150 Issue 2032, p7
Reports on the usefulness of mangrove plants as coastal defenses, based on studies by the University of East Anglia and Mangrove Ecosystem Research Center in Hanoi, Vietnam. Study of the economic value of mangroves; Problems with sea dikes.
- Danube dyke to be removed. // Modern Power Systems;Oct95, Vol. 15 Issue 10, p12
Reports on the planned removal of a dike on the Danube which was built as part of a joint Czech-Hungarian hydropower scheme.
- Earthquake test for Delta levees. Richardson, Len // California Farmer;Oct2011, Vol. 294 Issue 10, p26
The article reports that engineers at the university of California, Los Angeles, are testing the security of the fragile system of levees in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta. They are using mobile field shakers to simulate earthquakes and early tests have proved that Delta leeves are...
- Dike Farming . // Horizon Canada (English edition);Jan2001, pN.PAG
Details the construction of dikes in Acadia. Transformation of marshes into farmlands; Equipment used; Damage caused by spring and fall tides.
- Restoration ecology meets carabidology: effects of floodplain restitution on ground beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae). Jens G�nther; Thorsten Assmann // Biodiversity & Conservation;Jun2005, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p1583
Abstract The effects of different restoration activities on floodplain-inhabiting ground beetles were studied at a lowland river in northwestern Germany. In the 6-km2 project area the bank reinforcement was stopped, the dikes that bordered the river on both sides were removed and two oxbows...
- Record size lock and dam project gets a soggy launch as rains swell the lower Ohio River for months. Soast, Allen // ENR: Engineering News-Record;5/30/94, Vol. 232 Issue 22, p24
Reports on the problems facing the Olmsted Locks and Dam project on the Ohio River. Cost of project; Expected date of completion; Project's most challenging mission; Environmental challenges facing the project; Cost of rehabilitation project on the dam at Gallipolis, Ohio. INSET: Wickets will...